• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1992 & 1997 intermediate shaft diff change?

JEEPTUBE

NAXJA Forum User
Since owning a 1997 xj i have encountered a huge diff in feel of steering feel and bump steer. A while back while wheeling some rocks i turtled my 1992 xj. I had a re 5.5 extreme duty kit on it. I had no probs ever with this kit. It drove super smooth. Then after about a year of driving it without proper weather protection from the roll i decided to buy a 1997 xj and put everything from my 92 on it.

I swapped the axles, lift kit, t-case, the whole shabang except the engine and tranny. Put everything on and got it alligned. And to my surprise i could feel everything on my hands that it drove on. I opened the hood to reviel that the intermediate shaft was totaly different. Unlike the 92 this shaft went from the steering box through the firewall and into the cab with a billion u joints on it. Wtf? The 92's intermediate shaft stops at the fire with a joint to dampen any vibration or resonation from driving.

Why did they change this? because of the stupid air bag that likes to go off when wheeling?

Oh yah and how the hell do u change out the int shaft in the 97? looks like a pain in the ars to me.

Back