• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'91 slow to start

gone postal

NAXJA Forum User
When I bought the Jeep a lil over a month ago, I want to remember that it started up easily. I only started it a few times though (get on the trailer, then get off) b/c the next day I did all the basics (fluids, plugs, wires, cap/rotor, etc). The plugs are all gapped right and I used the dielectric grease which was recommended for the wires (which was a first for me). The plugs that were in there (along w/ the cap/rotor) were browned so I thought they were running a lil hot or maybe just old. Anyway, it takes about 3-4 seconds to start. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but it feels like forever when you're holding the key. I even let the key sit in the ON position for a few seconds to let the fuel pressure build. I bought a new fuel filter, but haven't put it in yet, so that may help. Any ideas though? I've never owned a distributer equipped vehicle before, so I don't know if it got lsightly turned during my maintance or how sensitive they even are to that type of thing.

ya mine seems to take forever too, Ive checked everything, and im getting use to it, a friend of mine has a MJ and seems to start about the same.

The common cause of this is that the line loses fuel pressure and it all goes back to the tank. It's some kind of valve that you have to replace where the fuel lines go to the tank at. But, if I also recall correctly, there are valves you can get that you can insert somewhere on your fuel line that will stop the fuel pressure from going back into the tank. Anyone want to chime in on this?

sw4218 said:
There is a check valve as part of the fuel pump. Sooner or later it will fail and thus cause long starting.

"Part of" meaning that the only way to replace it is by replacing the fuel pump or is it external and just part of the housing? Anyone know if you can add another check valve further down the line? If so, what would I use - I remember reading the recommended pressure somewhere, but cant remember what it is suppose to be.

Back