• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

baby seats in my xj

heeperman

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and I tried the local fire department........they weren't much help...................how do I put a rear facing baby seat in my XJ??????

What's the problem? It's a baby car seat and not a booster seat, right? You should be able to put the seatbelt right through it and buckle it up. Usually intructions come with it or there are some glued to the side.

the belt seems to be too short, even at full extension.................hell rebuilding an axle is easier. The seat has a hook up at the top and both sides, I can only get the sides done up.

if the car seat is new, it should have LATCH provisions attatched to the base of the seat. The seat belt goes through the same spot as that belt. The car seat I have has a separate base and the carrier snaps into that and all it needed was the one belt through.

mine also has a base, I put it in the center rear seat. I find that it helps to actually get in and kneel on the base to get it in there nice and snug so it doesn't shift when removing and inserting the seat itself.

I know it is not recommended but I use a ratcheting strap to secure a booster seat. It holds the seat in place....even on trails.

thanks everyone.................seems as mentioned by good burbon, all I had to do was get in and compress the seat, with the baby seat, just enough belt to hook it up.

Jess said:
I know it is not recommended but I use a ratcheting strap to secure a booster seat. It holds the seat in place....even on trails.

That's what I used as well. I'm a pretty big guy, and for me to crawl in the back seat on top of a car seat to push it down is a PITA. I put the seat on the rear passenger side and the ratchet on the belt on the door side and ratchet away. I can easily get the seat to fit tighter than if I were to try and push it down and buckle it at the same time. My boy is in a booster seat now and it's much easier to fasten. Good luck. I know your pain.

My wife's Saturn (and most newer cars) have belts that ratchet if you pull them all the way out. My 97 XJ does not.

My kid's car seat is in the middle, which you can really jack down if you kneel on it. I'm no little guy either, and it's a colassal pain in the ass, but the seat stays in there most of the time.

He's almost ready for a bootster seat, and my second one's due in the end of august...how do you get them to stay tight/locked into the outboard seats???

You really need to kneel down on it, most mfgs. state that. My son just brought his newborn home the other day and had to go thru three car seats b-4 he found one that would fit properly.
He has a Jimmy, g/f has a Sub. Legacy, third one finally fit hers, none would fit his or his brothers Chevy1500/Jeep GC or my wifes saturn and of course my XJ was out of the question, no seats or floor...lol
Velcro is the answer....or ....maybe...DUCT TAPE !!!

I have managed to have 2 infant seats and 1 booster seat in the back of the XJ. Anyone who can beat that?
(Now I'm trying to spent more time on the Jeep and less time producing more kiddos).

I wouldn't reccomend not getting the one I've got. Combi stroller/carrier combo. It fits, but the latch to detach it from the base does not completely disengauge and it takes a special combination (combi) to get the seat out of the car, and when you do the base shifts so it's no longer sitting level so you have to fix that.

Its just a PITA.

it's not an actual lock or combination, the brand name is combi and the plastic latch to release it from the base hangs, so you have to pull forward, then release the catch, then lift up and keep pulling forward......it's just not very easy with 20 lbs of baby in the damn thing!

Back