• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

727 tranny into a 4.0

ylojrzy

NAXJA Forum User
Question, anyone put a 727 tranny into a 4.0? I've got a line on a 727 for $100. I want to put it into my 89 Cherokee that currently has the $hitty Pugeout 5 speed. Good bad or ugly, let me have it. Thanks in advance. Jeff

I believe the 727 has a removable bellhousing, but check to see (since my recall of the thing is a little fuzzy right now...)

I can see wanting to get rid of the Peugeot - however, the AX-15 and NV3500/3550 are direct swaps. The only other thing you REALLY need to change is the input gear for the tcase - or just change the tcase and sell the old one.

I only suggest this because I happen to prefer "row-yer-own" gearboxes, but you might not. I do agree with you on the Peugeot tho - I've put three in my 88, and I finally got an AX-15 to replace with with properly (thank you, Capt. Nemo!)

5-90

5-90 said:
I believe the 727 has a removable bellhousing, but check to see (since my recall of the thing is a little fuzzy right now...)
the 727 in my wagoneer didnt have a removable bellhousing

i has one that DIDNT survive behind a old and tired amc 360

ylojrzy said:
Question, anyone put a 727 tranny into a 4.0? I've got a line on a 727 for $100. I want to put it into my 89 Cherokee that currently has the $hitty Pugeout 5 speed. Good bad or ugly, let me have it. Thanks in advance. Jeff
The 727 is a good tranny, but can be real sensitive to the TV adjustment. If you go to all the trouble to install it and don't get the TV (kick down) linkage right, it won't last long (I've seen many people screw it up). Fabricating a custom cable from a Summit cable kit may be a little tricky. I've got a manual shift (kit) 727 (non lockup, high stall converter) behind 350 horses and 36 inch tires, in a 76 long bed Dodge truck, that is still going strong (after 30 years). The TH 400 out of a wagoneer is also a strong posibility. I've got one in a Chevy, that leaks like crazy, but has lasted 35 years in a tow truck.
The AW4 is the way to go, but matching splines and T case rotation requires some research (same with the 727 or the TH 400).
I've picked up whole XJ's rolled or wrecked for $300.

I would do a 727 with 4.2L flexplate and harmonic balancer mounted CPS. Then run a NV241 from a Rubicon (for 4:1 low range) or NP208J (fuhgedaboud SYE as it's factory done!) Don't run lockup if it's going to get real offroading (unless you mod it a bit)
My tow rig ('73 J4000) is getting a 727 lockup (modded for higher lockup speed) lower first/second gearsets (same or lower ratios as the 999) with Mopar NP208D (bolts in for a RH drop) Motor is only a 304, but I plan to build a new motor later with 4.0L pistons in the block. Excellent for LPG!

robz95xj said:
what did the 727 come out of?

727's came on most of the Chrysler and Dodge trucks and big cars of the 60's and 70's. IH put them into Scouts from about '71 to '80 when it ended production. Very easy to find tranny and very easy swap, check with Advance Adapters, Im sure they got one.

Jeff

ihscoutlover said:
727's came on most of the Chrysler and Dodge trucks and big cars of the 60's and 70's. IH put them into Scouts from about '71 to '80 when it ended production. Very easy to find tranny and very easy swap, check with Advance Adapters, Im sure they got one.

Jeff
i was askin him wht HIS 727 came out of

ssjkakkarotx said:
It survives behind a 426. It'll survive your I6. Uhhhhh I hearby declare my post useless. YAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY

I had one behind a 75/76 dodge van with a 440, worked well...sold the van with 189,000mi on it...
4.2 YJ's also had 727's and 999's

You can get a 727 from a full size Jeep '80 to '91 (I mean '80 to '83 Wagoneer or Cherokee, '80 to '88 Jtruck or '84 to '91 Grand Wagoneer. '93 Grand Wagoneer is NOT an FSJ. It's a ZJ with woodgrain!) Take notice though because some of them also have 999 automatics (mostly the 6 cyls)
Take one and beef it up a bit with billet converter, 6 cyl flexplate from one of the above and a transfercase that will kick ass and you're ready to rock!

You would best put one in a standard trans XJ/MJ tho as you won't need the computer stuff. Just put in the vehicle speed sensor and go!

PS: YJ never came stock with a 727 on the 6 cyl. The tcase needs clocking or trans pan modded to clear the transfercase.

Back