• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upper bumpstop install

oceansize

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have any helpful hints for getting the old front upper bumpstop out & getting the new longer ones i got in? thanks for any help. I did a search but didnt get the results i needed.

Pull out to remove,push in to install!

Sometimes it isn't that easy.

I tried various ways of pulling them out, and was denied at every attempt.

I ended up cooking mine in an oven (set at 538*C :viking: ) for about an hour. Worked like a charm.

All I've messed with are 88-89s. On those the metal "bell" (cup?) screws into the uniframe/coil tower, but however the rubber part is fixed in there, it's not bolted in.

Oh that reminds me... before ya put the new bump in there, grind or cut that flare off the bottom of the bell. (So it won't continually twang on the coils)

this is on a 97. would a heat gun help with getting out/getting in? oven is a good idea but I dont have one at the shop.

Drill a bunch of holes into it to loosen it. When you remove some material, use some Channel Locks on them.

thanks passxj, thanks for the tip. do you just use a BFH to get the new one in? is the anything up in there I should know about or is it just a press in fit?

The cup has little "barbs" pressed into it. You probably want to heat it up and lube it a little. Hammers don't usually work very well on rubber and poly. They're a pain to put in.

Back