• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Life of RE driveshafts

egon

Dunlop Slayer
NAXJA Member
How many miles are folks getting out of the RE made/sourced double cardan driveshafts that go with their hack'n'tap kit? Mine is toast after 35K miles, I don't have a lead foot nor is it running a nutty angle. The u-joints have no signs of wear and was greased often. The center pin/ball in the DC has noticable slop. Anyone else has this same situation?

--Matt

The RE driveshafts have a non-greasable centering unit.

--Matt

I had 40k + on mine. no problems would still be running it, but the Atlas requested Tom Woods :sunshine: Now it's just laying around in the garage.

Rob

I've got about 60k on mine. I replaced the u-joints in it when it had about 30k on it, but it was just preventative maintenance and probably really didn't need to. I'm still running on the replacement u-joints and it's doing just fine...

I've got 39,000 miles on my RE driveshaft, original double cardan joints.

Let's see... I've had it balanced 3 times, thanks to all the rock rash and had it shortened once. The last time it was balanced, they were hesitant to do it because the grooves were so deep, so they say... They wanted to re-tube it instead. I declined and it balanced fine. However, once it goes again I'm just going to get a whole new driveshaft. All in all, pretty happy with it.

i forget the mileage, but little over 2 years on mine, of dailydriving and parttime trails. my axle end u joint is greasable, original, the cv ujoints ,IIRC, have studs and you just need to screw up the fitting, then cap it again. no slop in my joint. this is on a h&t too, im not proud to say. but then again, its been great, i removed and reinstalled the bolt with loctite, and it hasnt moved. no vibes even tho im sitting to high for it. atlas and 3500 coming in a year or so.
order a tom woods shaft, dont tell him you have a RE flange sye. after you get teh nice d.s. you can easily order the correct flange.
search old_man and see what he did

I've had mine with the hack & tap for more than two years now with no problems. It's a daily driver.

skyjackedxj96
the cv ujoints ,IIRC, have studs and you just need to screw up the fitting, then cap it again.

I've wondered about that since I put my d/s on. Can you attach a zerk fitting to those joints when you remove the caps, or do you just remove the caps, shoot in some grease and recap?

cal said:
I thought the RE one used spicer parts.

The RE shaft does use all Spicer parts.

--Matt

I'm fairly certain that you have a greasable center ball. Look harder, it will utilize a pin-type grease fitting.

I got maybe 45K on my RE h&t shaft, same thing, centering ball worn out. I swtiched to a T/W SYE kit with a yoke style centering ball, which is regeaseable. Most flange style spicer centering ball joints aren't regreaseable/serviceable, I believe someone just came out with a serviceable version, but when I went searching for a greaseable flange style centering ball, none could be found, by four different d/s shops and online.

dphillips said:
I've wondered about that since I put my d/s on. Can you attach a zerk fitting to those joints when you remove the caps, or do you just remove the caps, shoot in some grease and recap?
to be honest, i have only greased the axle ujoint and the slip in the d.s. itself. im not sure what size zerk fits them, im gonna go under and inspect once it stops raining

I've had mine for about 2 years now and the h&t has worn out. It wobbles on the shaft. At first I thought the cv was going bad but it was fine. Every time I change the oil I just use a screwdriver to push some grease into the ball joint center piece. I was going to get the new super duty tom woods kit to replace the tc shaft, flange, and driveshaft but I will probly just get a new flange from RE.

the RE Ds uses a 1310 CV joint that is not greaseable, had to replace mine after a day in the mud.... it only had less than 10,000 miles, but I replaced the 1310 with the same thing, and its been fine for 2 years.

I hate the mud.

Back