• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Gauge issue

joeylead

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I have only owned my XJ for 2 days and already something is wrong! The fuel gauge needle bounces back and forth from 1/2 to full (tank is about 3/4 full) when the car is running. When off, it doesnt move. Could it be the gauge or am I going to eb dropping the tank to fix this?

joeylead said:
Well, I have only owned my XJ for 2 days and already something is wrong! The fuel gauge needle bounces back and forth from 1/2 to full (tank is about 3/4 full) when the car is running. When off, it doesnt move. Could it be the gauge or am I going to eb dropping the tank to fix this?

My crystal ball is back at the house, what year ?

RichP said:
My crystal ball is back at the house, what year ?

yeah, that was a real bonehead of me... it is a 96 4.0. But I am guessing it is the sending unit, when I filled the tank it went to full, then began acting weird again.

Try a fuel system cleaner first. I have an 85XJ that has been in the family since '85......so I'm well acquainted with the car. I noticed within the last few weeks that my fuel gauge has been doing the same thing. I did some reading about contaminated gas......and decided to buy a fuel system cleaner....and I believe the problem is beginning to disappear. Give it a try and see what happens.... It's certainly less expensive than running out to get a new fuel pump or sending unit. Plus, considering gas prices.....you never know if the previous owner decided to go with some off-brand gas....especially since they were planning on selling it.

That's cool you got a good deal then!!!!! Definitely try the cleaner first.... Based on my readings, there have been a lot of problems lately with contaminated gas causing problems for folks... Let us know how it works out!

It might work but historically the problem was cheap painted on resistor on the sending unit that basically peeled off. I've seen a couple of bad ones and no amount of cleaning is going to replace the missing stuff..

I put the cleaner in and it seems to be a little better, the needle doesnt bounce as much, but it still wavers a little. Oh well. i am going to worry about other stuff, I am not in the mood to drop the tank right now!

I'm suprized nobody mentioned this....
If you do need to look at or replace the fuel pump/sending unit, you do not need to drop the tank. It is in the front center of the tank. Just crawl under a look. You'll see the hoses.

I'm glad it's a little better. You may need to try a couple of treatments.....and run through a couple full tanks of gas to see the results.

DaveW said:
I'm suprized nobody mentioned this....
If you do need to look at or replace the fuel pump/sending unit, you do not need to drop the tank. It is in the front center of the tank. Just crawl under a look. You'll see the hoses.

On a 97+ you cannot get at the pump w/o dropping it, there is NO space above. If it comes time for me to do it I'll be lowering the tank and cutting an access hole with a 5" or 6" speaker saw in the floor while I have it out...

RichP said:
On a 97+ you cannot get at the pump w/o dropping it, there is NO space above. If it comes time for me to do it I'll be lowering the tank and cutting an access hole with a 5" or 6" speaker saw in the floor while I have it out...
:doh: Another late model difference. I like my 89:D
I heard the older toyota mini vans had an access hatch inside that alowed access to the pump. But that is the only vehilce that I have heard ever had it.

DaveW said:
:doh: Another late model difference. I like my 89:D
I heard the older toyota mini vans had an access hatch inside that alowed access to the pump. But that is the only vehilce that I have heard ever had it.

The dodge daytonas had them too in the 80's, helped my sgt major change the one on his in the barracks parking lot long time ago...

Back