• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Window tracks

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
Ok the window track assembly in my passanger side window is shot. The cable inside the mechanims is stuck in there. With the motor attached to the cable assembly it wont turn. When i take the cable/track assembly off the motor works perfect. The dealer wants something like $140 for it. anyone know of a cheaper place i can get it?? I don't think pep boys or kragen etc would carry something like this. Any help would be great. thanks

autopartsplace.com

I think that is the name of the place. $117 if I recall. Google your "Jeep+Cherokee+window+regulator". or somthing like that.

Here is a write up I posted to another site a while back,maybe it will be of some use to you:
I have an '88 Cherokee Laredo with manual windows. I had been having a problem with my drivers door window not coming back up when fully opened. I had to pull up on the glass while turning the crank in order to get the window back up. Short of replacing the whole regulator assembly, which is a PITA, I decided to try to just replace the regulator cord. Here is the procedure I used:
With the door panel off you will see a metal tube that has a split facing the outer door skin. Inside the tube is a coiled steel spring-like cord with some sort of fiber material inside. To get the cord out put the window down about half way. Carefully wedge a screwdriver in between the glass and the door weatherstrip to keep the glass in place. Unbolt the glass from the cord. Next you have to open up the split in the tube to get the cord out. It helps if you use a small mirror to see what you are working with here. At the salvage yard I just used my channel locks to twist the tube 180 degrees so I could see it but on your vehicle you will want to take more care. On my car I found that a glass cutter tool worked good. The notched part for snapping glass was the right size to fit in the slot and gave me a good angle to pry the slot open. You can use a screwdriver but there is not a lot of room to get a good pull. When the slot is opened enough you can remove the cord by cranking it out as far as you can , then by pulling it the rest of the way. Mine was a little sticky and I had to use pliers to pull it out. Just watch for any sharp edges in the door! Before I installed the new one I gave it a good coating of grease. It went in fairly easy until it contacted the crank gear, then I was able to crank it the rest of the way in. Once it is in you can squeeze the tube with channel locks to close down the gap. If you don't close it enough the cord could come back out. If you close it too much the window will bind at that point. Bolt the glass back up to the cord and you are ready to go.
This procedure should be the same for power windows. Just remember, if you are hunting for the part at a u-pull-it yard, it would be easier to get it out of a car with manual windows. Hope this info helps someone out there.

--------------------
1988 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 4.0,auto,4x4

dizzymac said:
$60 for drivers door cable w/motor and $82 for pass....www.rockauto.com. OR pull it apart and clean and lube .
Rockauto.com has a nice website. They have access to everything!
If you do manage to pull yours apart, look for a flat spot on the cord. That's what I found on mine. I don't know what year they changed the design, but my '88 has the regulator tube rivited in, that's why I only replaced the cord. If yours is bolted in, it's probably easier to go new.

Back