• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Melted Fuel Line

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
Once again I melted the nylon portion of the fuel return line that runs near the exhaust manifold. I want to replace the metal section of the fuel return line with a longer piece of metal line. I've looked at the Summit Racing and Jegs websites but have only found flexible line (rubber or braided stainless).

Where can I get the metal tubing from?

langer1 said:
Look at Lowes for copper tubbing.

You should use steel line, I'm not sure about copper. Get that at any NAPA and get a double-flaring kit to make the fittings. My question is why are the factory lines melting?

anony91xj said:
You should use steel line, I'm not sure about copper. Get that at any NAPA and get a double-flaring kit to make the fittings. My question is why are the factory lines melting?

Not entirely sure, but this is my theory. The first time this happened, I had a cracked exhaust manifold and I think the heat allowed the nylon to soften enough that when I let off the throttle the fuel returning back to the tank blew out the line.

I have since replaced the exhaust manifold. This time I'm not sure but another idea is that with higher engine speeds (I have 4.88 gears and 33" tires) for a prolonged period of time (cruising on the highway) allows the nylon to get soft enough to blow out.

An idea that I had was if a bad fuel pressure regulator could be part of the problem. But I'm not sure how to check that.

It sounds like your fuel lines may be too close to the manifold or something. This shouldn't be an issue. Get some heat shielding and wrap it around the plastic lines maybe? There might be something there from the factory that's missing on yours.

anony91xj said:
Double flairs and fittings are for brake line, it's not used anywhere else.

Back