• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another issue, Power Seat (Searched)

StuckonTheDock

NAXJA Forum User
Odd problem, neither seat works, the circut breaker is OK, no power to either harness under the seat. If it was shorted, then the breaker would be blown, and power locks and windows wouldn't work according to the schematic. Shows one ground, but are they seperate? Any ideas??

On the bright side, no pun intended, Color Back by Turtle Wax, I believe, did a fantastic job of removing the oxidation and leaving a great shine. Now every dent and ding stands out as proud battle scars in the lusterous black paint! Gonna be great to drive when I am done!!

anony91xj said:
Trace the wires from the fusebox or fusible link (where you know you have power) to the seat. Also follow the wires from the seats to ground.

Is the fusable link in the bundle that runs along the right side of the driver's compartment? Do you know if both seats run off that line?

I have no idea, neither of my XJ's had power seats. You should get an FSM with a wiring diagram. My guess would be that the seats have their own fuse, check the fuses in the IP and underhood boxes.

Schematic indicates all power acc. on 30 Amp breakers, both are fine. Problem with schematics is that they often don't indicate "real" wire runs, they are usually just a logical diagram, very usefull, but sometimes misleading...

They're useful because they'll give you a diagram, but the most important part is they tell you the colors of which wires go where, as well as which connector(s) they connect at. From there it's just a matter of following wires to figure out where it's shorted or broken.

What year XJ is this?

It is an 88 limited, has seen some hard years the for the last few years, I rescued it from being a guy's tractor :shocked: But I have most everything fixed that was wrong with it, and the motor is running great now after a bunch of tinkering. The seats working would be more of a bonus than anything, I paid less than $500.00 for her, although having anything not working right drives me nuts!

My 1991 had the very same problem. No blown fuses and other accessories on the same breaker worked fine. Eventually, I just ran a new 12 volt lead from the fuse box by clipping into the wire intended for the seats (sticks right out the front of the box off a breaker). My new wire ran under the kick-plate and was then clipped into the original plug under the seat. Oddly, both seats now work so the break must hae occurred somewhere above the original factor Y. I have a wiring diagram for this circuit if it might help you although I'm not sure how to post it. Hope I helped ya.

I tore apart an 89. The same thing had happened as a separate power wire was added to the seat. The problem was the power cable under the carpet. It goes from under the console and splits. There is a connector around the tunnel area on the driver’s side. This one was totally corroded. There was nothing left of the connectors on either side! Just green dust.

Had same problem of both power seats not working on my 88 and after removing driver seat and lifting carpet on left side of trans hump found corroded wiring at connector. It fell apart and had to hard wire. This fixed both seats having no operation.

Back