• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doorless in the rain?

Anyone here drive doorless in the rain? I removed my doors today, and driving without them was so nice that I don't want to put them back on until the fall. My interior is already Herculined; what else do I need to watch out for? I know the seats will get wet. Are there any electrical connectors that would be especially vulnerable?

if you dont have any inner fenderwell liner water is gonna spray up at you from inbetween the fender and the jeep, ask me how i know. i seen a pic where somone made some plates out of sheet metal to block it, maybe somone will post up with the pic.

only other thing to worry about is yourself. You get soaked...

with the inner fender well area blocked off i never got wet, even w/ 16" wide boggers sticking out like 10"....

summit makes hard plastic seats for like $30 each, theyre actually very comfy

I'll let you know.

My doors are coming off tonite for four days of wheeling and i don't feel like carrying them around.

No rain in forcast, but definetly a few rivers.

Hope there not too deep.

I have swamped my XJ in some nasty mud before,

all you have to do is pull out interior and hang it out back to dry.!!!!!!
Came out fine.

Just got back from driving around in a light rain. Driving in the rain, doorless, is great. I didn't get splashed by my tires, even though they're mud-terrains and I have no fender flares/inner fender liners, though I do have a pool noodle on the driver side. I'm just worried about what can get damaged by, say, leaving the Jeep in the rain overnight with no doors.

Carry a tarp with you and cover it up at night. I do that while camping out, keeps the dew from collecting inside the XJ if it's that time of year.

Gary

"summit makes hard plastic seats for like $30 each, theyre actually very comfy"

i'm taking my doors off this weekend. what else do you need for these seats? do i need to buy new brackets?

88rockxj said:
if you dont have any inner fenderwell liner water is gonna spray up at you from inbetween the fender and the jeep, ask me how i know.

I'll give that an X eleventy billion.

BUT

If U afraid of a little water, maybe a less elemetial hobby is in order, like stamp collecting?

It poured here yesterday while I was at work, and the doorless XJ really didn't get very wet on the inside. Puddles on the floor, and the side of the seats got wet, but for the most part it stayed fairly dry. Now I'm definitely keeping the doors off for the rest of the summer.

I haven't taken the doors of my XJ yet but I took the doors off of my old Toyota. Carried a tarp in the back so I could cover the seats up while parked if it was raining. Never got wet driving in pouring rain and that was with 16" wide boggers. People do look at you like you are crazy though....

I run neoprene seat covers on my TJ. It is a daily driver and the top stays off during the summer. I got them from 4wd.com. You might try those.

I keep the doors on the Cherokee.

I drilled a couple little bitty holes in the low spots in the floor for the water to drain out. I have vinyl(?) seats from a 93 & just carry a rag/towel around and wipe them quickly if its been raining. The only time I get wet is when the rain blows sideways & also a little from the pass side for some reason in heavy rain. I have TJ flares & no inner wheel lining.

MUD, on the other hand, is very different with no doors. You'll be cleaning your headliner & the inside of the hatch window soon...

woody said:
I'll give that an X eleventy billion.

BUT

If U afraid of a little water, maybe a less elemetial hobby is in order, like stamp collecting?

only reason i cared was i drove 50 miles to work and 50 miles home , sucked being wet going into work as an A/V tech in an office with nice clothes lol.

didnt make me put my doors on though haha

So last Wednesday I drove 180 miles in the pouring rain with no doors. It absolutely sucked. Every part of the interior was soaking wet; luckily I had everything in sealed tubs or plastic bags. I had to keep wiping the inside of the windshield so I could see the road, my inspection and registration stickers fell off, and (I have no headliner) it was actually raining inside the Jeep as well. Leaving an XJ parked doorless in pouring rain is one thing. Driving one doorless in pouring rain is completely different.

Got back safe.

Had some rain and a small thunderstorm.

Inside stayed dry and all I got was as sunburn.

heavy rain or high wind would not be fun.

End result.

Tube doors are the way to go.

PS.

Thanks to Kirkwood for the extra hinges!!!!

P

i agree on the mud on the back hatch i still hav mud there from 2 months ago. oh and mud and pass in back is Fin Great they dont know whats coming till blamo there doused in mud

I rarely get wet while driving in the rain. Unless there is a strong crosswind, and the speeds are slow. As far as when the Jeep is parked in the rain. I have made seat covers out of some bathroom floor mats (new, thank you very much) Rubbery on one side and soft on the other. I cut a couple slits in one end to go around the headrest posts. Then put some grommets in the edges so that a bungie cord holds the one on the seat back in place. The one on the seat is just held by gravity and or my butt. The nice thing about that is when it's raining I turn it over so that the rubbery side is up and this keeps most of the water from soaking into the seat it's self. Then when it's time to go. Flip it over and you've got a dry seat. I'll look to see what photos I may have of this, I'd go take some now, but someone stole my digital camera. (or I lost it)

DAryl

Back