• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 29 spline change over?

JEEPTUBE

NAXJA Forum User
RECENTLY I HAVE BOUGHT A 8.25 WITH 4.10. WITH 27 SPLINE AXLE SHAFTS 1994 FOR $150.
I HAVE ANOTHER 8.25 WITH 3.55 AND 29 SPLINE AXLE SHAFTS 1997.

I WANT TO PUT THE 29 SPLINES IN THE 8.25 WITH THE 4.10 GEARS.

WHAT DO I HAVE TO CHANGE OUT?

HAS ANYONE DONE THIS?

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A WRITEUP WITH PICS ON THIS INSTALLATION?

IIRC the 29 spline axles will not fit the 27 spline carrier.
you will have to swap the 4:10 gears into the 3:55 housing. You will need a master install kit and the knowledge and tools to do a gear swap.

if I'm proven wrong, my apologies.

How about the easy solution... If they are both open carriers, than they are theoretically the same, the only difference is the two side spider gears have 27 teeth instead of 29 teeth cut into them, so... Swap spider gears/ shafts into 4.10 axle and you should be good to go. The spider gear swap is basically the same as installing any lunchbox locker into a C-Clip axle, im sure it wont be too hard to find a writeup on how to do that.
Good luck
-Jerry

Last edited:
What he said! I did mine myself and took advantage of needing the new carrier and put in a TruTrac. I used Yukon 29 spline axles and Yukon 4.10 gears. I do a lot of gear setups so thats no prob. for me but you will need a few special tools to do a 8.25.

Common tools; dial indicator and magnetic base(to check BL and ring gear run-out), 3/8 drive torque wrench(25-100 ft.#), 1/4" drive, beam style 0-60 inch pound torque wrench(to check pinion preload), bearing and seal installers, and a "long" brass punch(to remove bearing races).

Special tool to the 8.25; You will either have to make or buy the wrenches to adjust the carrier bearing adjuster cups( to set carrier brg. preload and ring gear BL), its easier if you have 2. I made mine, they are 3/4" pipe 4' long with a nut the size of the inside of the adjuster-cup welded on one end and a 3/8" extension welded on the other

A pinion depth guage is helpful but not a necessity, I made my own for less than $50 but they usually run $175-350 if you purchase.

Thats just it... I don't think the carriers have the same size hole for the axle, as the side bearings are smaller in a 27 spline.

sandmcrew2 said:
How about the easy solution... If they are both open carriers, than they are theoretically the same, the only difference is the two side spider gears have 27 teeth instead of 29 teeth cut into them, so... Swap spider gears/ shafts into 4.10 axle and you should be good to go. The spider gear swap is basically the same as installing any lunchbox locker into a C-Clip axle, im sure it wont be too hard to find a writeup on how to do that.
Good luck
-Jerry
Thats just it... I don't think the carriers have the same size hole for the axle, as the side bearings are smaller in a 27 spline.

I've set up a dozen or so of the 8.25's and I don't think I've ever compared the two carriers to see if they are the same!

I'll have to look into it.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO GUYS.
SO, IF U TOOK THE 29 SPLINE AND 27 SPLINE AND PUT THEM NEXTO EACH OTHER-WOULD THEY BE DIFF DIAMETERS? IF SO I WOULD THINK THAT THE 29 WOULD NOT FIT AT ALL IN THE 27 HOUSING SETUP. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A DIAGRAM OF A OPEN 8.25 WITH ARROWS AND PARTS DISCRIPTION. IM LEARNING. I HAVE A DANA 35 LAYING AROUND IN MY GARAGE, DO U THINK I SHOULD PRACTICE SETTING THAT UP BACK AND FORTH UNTIL I MASTER IT. 8.25 AND 35 ARE C-CLIP STYLE. WHATS THE DIFF IN THE 8.25.

Digger87xj said:

Correct. 29s are bigger at the carrier

Its confirmed: The 29 axles will fit in the 27 tubes/housing just fine... they just won't fit in the 27 carrier.
So.. your route of progress will be pulling the 4:10 ring from the 27carrier and installing them on the 29 carrier.

setting up the gears in the 35 will do you no good as it is a dana, not a chrysler.
If you have never done it, take the axles to someone that has... will save you tons of money in tools, time and you won't chance a bad set-up. but thats my opinion.

Back