• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 Cherokee ABS?

focuzzn

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I have a 1990 Cherokee with a 4.0. And Im having trouble with the ABS. I have both lites on the dash; red (brakes) and yellow (abs). Some have said to just remove the fuse, but Im wondering if I can swap it to a non abs system instead.
So what years can I use and what do I have to do? What can I use and what do I have to remove?
Thanks

when i did my dana44 swap, i pulled the main ABS relays under the hood.'abs system' and 'abs pump' i still have the yellow light, but im used to it. it still brakes fine. your 90 may be different. whats your brake fluid level like HTH

I was in the very same boat you are in about a year ago, ended up discarding everything ABS under the hood and used a setup from a 91 XJ. The booster and master cylinder swapped right in and the only hard part was making new brake line. I hear the 96 dual diaphragm booster is the way to go for maximum OEM performance, also don't forget to flush the brake fluid from the lines/calipers/wh.cylinders.

Get completely rid of that ABS system, it can kill you when it quits because there is no backup system.
If you don't have the money right now it does have a free lifetime warranty though.

Ok another question on this.

89 4.0L XJ, My ABS light blinks at me, and i do not know it tire size would do that, I only went up to a 235/75/15, so they are not that much bigger, but never have tire skidding anymore either. the tires dont even skid on dirt.

I'm not sure about 90, but the earlier ABS system cannot just be turned off and removed, or you will lose braking.

The newer system can be turned off and removed with no problems, however.

I thought the new system started in 91. Might want to check on that before trying to shut off your ABS

Back