• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No tunes

XJ Jeepin Girl

NAXJA Forum User
So, yesterday when I was driving home from camping the radio/CD player and everything worked fine. I listened to a CD the whole way home. I start the Jeep this morning to drive to the gym and I get nothing. The CD player looked like it was working, the display was fine, it appeared a track was playing, but no sound. I thought the CD was just messed up, but the radio and my aux. iPod outlet wasn't working either. I checked all the wires under my back seats (since I moved those around a lot over the weekend) and everything appeared to be plugged in and fine. So, any ideas of what's wrong? I'm hoping this isn't going to turn into some tear-your-dash-out-and-screw-everything-up kind of project...

XJ Jeepin Girl said:
So, yesterday when I was driving home from camping the radio/CD player and everything worked fine. I listened to a CD the whole way home. I start the Jeep this morning to drive to the gym and I get nothing. The CD player looked like it was working, the display was fine, it appeared a track was playing, but no sound. I thought the CD was just messed up, but the radio and my aux. iPod outlet wasn't working either. I checked all the wires under my back seats (since I moved those around a lot over the weekend) and everything appeared to be plugged in and fine. So, any ideas of what's wrong? I'm hoping this isn't going to turn into some tear-your-dash-out-and-screw-everything-up kind of project...

One possible cause is a short in the front doors speaker wire. The speaker wires could be routed better in those things and the way they are located now there is a chance for them to short out on metal (when part of hte door rubs the wire "open") and that will result in the stereo cutting the power to speakers to avoid damage (don't ask how I know ;) )

I agree with Kejtar. I had my wires running behind the brake pedal and after a while they shorted. Unfortunately it cost me a new radio to find out. The best way to check the speakers is with a multimeter. Each speaker should measure 4 Ohms.

Johnny V said:
This sounds funny...but is the Mute on?

Simple things first, yes yes yes. Mine has done some strange things with my bluetooth cellphone, turned out to be a setting in the radio, gotta tell my daughter boyfriend to keep his cotton picken fingers off the buttons...

Johnny V said:
This sounds funny...but is the Mute on?

Yeah, someone already asked me that. Heh, I think not because it would say "MUTE" in really big letters on the display. I'll check around, but I kind of have no idea where/what to look for? I know I have a lot of loose wires behind/near my pedals, so I think I will check there first.

RichP said:
gotta tell my daughter boyfriend to keep his cotton picken fingers off the buttons...
:laugh:

how old is the reciever, i had a kenwood that had seen its better days, the internal amp was shot and it wasnt sending tunes to the factory speakers, but appeared to be on.

Well, I played with it for about a half an hour. I looked at all the wires near my pedals and on the passenger side in the front too. Everything looks okay, but then again, it is hard to see under there. I played with the radio too, under every kind of setting. It is certainly not on mute, lol. I'm really hoping I don't have to take it to Sound Track again. I already paid them $45 to make sure everything was kosher once.

XJ Jeepin Girl said:
Well, I played with it for about a half an hour. I looked at all the wires near my pedals and on the passenger side in the front too. Everything looks okay, but then again, it is hard to see under there. I played with the radio too, under every kind of setting. It is certainly not on mute, lol. I'm really hoping I don't have to take it to Sound Track again. I already paid them $45 to make sure everything was kosher once.
Look inside the door: that means pull the door panel off.

As said before, if one speaker is bad or shorted out(touching metal) The output of the CD player will not work. That is why the display will keep working. If you are confidant enough to look at each speaker to see if a speaker came loose and the connections are touching metal. Then that would solve your problem.
Your front speakers would be the ones to look at, your back speakers are mounted on your fiberglass hatch so that wouldn't happen in the rear. if all of your connections are fine and not touching metal then you might have a bad(blown) speaker, give your door panel a good pull on the bottom of the panel and it should pull out far enough to check the speaker. Hope that helped, and good luck
P.S. I am a car audio installer so it's good advice

Back