• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Outer Pinion Bearing Removal

RCman

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, first let me say I've searched here and other places with little luck and read a few write-ups, but still nothing reguarding my perticular question. Anyway, I need to replace the outer pinion bearing on the XJ D44 rear I'm building up. I've gone throught and checked/replaced everything else out and all the others seems to be in tip-top shape (inner pinion bearing and all other bearings are either new or perfect). So, I've removed the Yoke, pinion seal and the oil slinger (washer) but is there an easy way to remove the outer pinion bearing without removing the pinion itself? I'd rather not have to tear into the carrier as it's perfectly set up and with new bearings. I will tear it down (again) if I have to, however I'm looking for an easier method. I've tried to pry it out like one would removing the pinion seal, it just doesn't seem to want to move. Has anyone removed/replaced the outer pinion bearing without removing the pinion? Tips?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

typically, if there is one bad bearing... they all will go bad in a short time. all the material from the bad bearing will destroy the 'good' ones. get yourself a setup kit and do it right.

Digger87xj said:
typically, if there is one bad bearing... they all will go bad in a short time. all the material from the bad bearing will destroy the 'good' ones. get yourself a setup kit and do it right.

Did that already...
I bought an entire overhaul kit and the outer pinion bearing that came with it was bad. So I thought I'd be fine with the old one, well got it all back together and that was not the case. So I went out and bought a new one, I was just hoping I didn't have to pull the carrier (again). I started to remove it last night before I got to tired anyway. So it looks like I'm tearing it all apart again away.

You need to pull the carrier, as you have started to. You will need to reshim the preload on the new pinion bearing. That means having the carrier out.

Back