• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear shocks through floor?

Kid4lyf's rig -

new_upper_shock_mnt.sized.jpg

yes they are airshocks and he has a rear 4 link... but that should help a little...

Watch for a new thing from JKS mfg to relocate the rear shocks

try shooting a PM to LBEXJ - he has shocks through the floor as well (and still has the leaf springs)

awesome,

Thanks so much. I spent a long time trying to find that pic. There was some discussion about where those bellows came from. I found some stuff on jeepspeed but nothing about how they're mounted inside. I dont have a full cage, but plans do include one in the future. The area between the wheel well and the "frame" looks to be about 3.5" wide and i've seen some pics of shocks run through there. THe plan is to build/integrate a rear internal cage structure that is just for the shocks...then later i can build a full cage around it. I like the idea of mounting the shocks on top of the leaf spring retainer plates in a verticle position. THis would eliminate exhaust mods and get the unprotected shafts out from under the axle (Bilstein 7100s are inverted).

One issue is that i want to try to retain the rear seat, andi may have to angle the shocks back slightly to clear and still have room for a mounting structure.

Does this JKS thingy mount them from inside the cabin, or just reposition them under?

I think i saw somewhere that there was a company who made a mount for the inside of the jeep. Anyone remember who?

Thanks

My buddy has shocks through the floor and he put in an aftermarket seat in the back. I'm going over there later today, so I will take some pics for ya.

here's my setup, its just simple box tubing framed up and shock tabs on top of the spring plates, meaning no more shocks on the axle. It rides awesome, partly due to the bilstiens but the dampening capacity of any shock is at its greatest when it is mounted as near to vertical as possible, in other words i drive way too fast down bumpy trails :D
c07ed1ee.jpg

e54f1f1d.jpg

463d6692.jpg

that is precisely what i want to do.

How have the welds held up where the box meets the unitbody? I was anticipating having to make a much more substancial structure than you have...but if it works for you...then why add the extra weight. I also was thinking about using box tube instead of round. what thickness did you use?

Also...what rate shocks did you get. I've heard that the 255/78 is a good rate for the rear for some faster stuff...but i am not sure if that was with them mounted at an angle or verticle like yours...this makes a difference. right now, im leaning towards some softer spring rates and higher damping rates...say 255/100 for the fronts, and the next step up in the rear...27X/XX

Last edited:
here is what I have so far...I made this stuff last summer, but haven't been home since then. I still don't have my shocks, and I will be bracing them to the cage somewhere.
170272_102_full.jpg

170272_101_full.jpg

I would love to do this also, I have a lot of flex in the front but I am limited bad in the back because of the shocks. My only problem is I need the rear seat for the kids. Any one able to keep the rear seat?
Zacattack, that would be cool if you could get some pics of that.

as of now my rear seat is functional, and I'm trying to keep it that way. I just have the dent the metal backing of the seat a little bit for it to lock in place.

96mdxjcountry's has the setup i think your lookin for. Search for some of his pictures he has posted. There is a picture of the rear shocks through the floor but still has the back seat and room to store stuff. He has some pics in the classified forum. Pretty nice lookin rig.

antietam060127xd.jpg

na.... I need to mount the shocks above the axle and with a ~20" collapsed length... that will put the top mount about 10" above the floor of the jeep. I think i will do something with them verticle, above the spring plates. After some thought, i think that i will want to lay down the spare in the back, perhaps under the brace...not sure if the 31 will fit laying down in the back witht he seat up, but that would be nice for CG.

jwtrapper said:
I would love to do this also, I have a lot of flex in the front but I am limited bad in the back because of the shocks. My only problem is I need the rear seat for the kids. Any one able to keep the rear seat?
Zacattack, that would be cool if you could get some pics of that.

check my post earlier, i still have full use of my rear seat, that is a 31 ince spare bolted to a brace going back and the rear seat still works with the tire in there

jjvande said:
that is precisely what i want to do.

How have the welds held up where the box meets the unitbody? I was anticipating having to make a much more substancial structure than you have...but if it works for you...then why add the extra weight. I also was thinking about using box tube instead of round. what thickness did you use?

Also...what rate shocks did you get. I've heard that the 255/78 is a good rate for the rear for some faster stuff...but i am not sure if that was with them mounted at an angle or verticle like yours...this makes a difference. right now, im leaning towards some softer spring rates and higher damping rates...say 255/100 for the fronts, and the next step up in the rear...27X/XX

its box tubing from a motorcycle crate that we picked up from a local ricer shop :D it has worked great, word to the wise don't weld it to the fender, the tower is welded to a plate that is bolted to another plate on the outside, it has held up great bolted in and it makes it a bolt in install once the truss is built, i have no idea what the valving on the shocks is, i bought them secondhand from a guy who had a lotta money to spend on a jeep but no direction :D

sorry about no pics yet, i got over there and discovered that the battery was not charged. I'll get some pics of it tomorrow.

Rick Norman (Rick XTRM XJ) is running the RK rear four link kit between the frame rails and wheel wells.

add.sized.jpg

That's the picure i remember seeing. I would like to do something similar to this. It looks like the rear "pads" are bolted? I'm curious also about the best way to attach to the Fender. I was thinking about making a wide flat cone shape that would have many inches of weld to the fender then taper up to where the tube would meet it. Or, perhaps a curved box structure that would arch with the wheel well...fullly welded to it...across the floor...and up the other side, then mount an upper tube across to mount the shocks to. if any of that makes sense. I see a plasma torch in my near future.

Back