• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bolts on front brake caliper!

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
85 XJ front brake caliper mount bolts. How many are there and what size and type are they? I tried my star sockets and they did not fit.

no, these look like.......

My star bits but the 1/2" is too big and the 7/16 does not even go over it. It almost looks like its a 12 point star head. anyone? What is soo irritating is that I have had the calipers off my 84 b4 so I know I have teh right socket just cannot seem to figure out what it is!

Right off hand I want to say that its a 11mm 12 pt wrench that gets those off. If it's not 11 then it's pretty close. Btw, a 6 pt wrench won't work.

The caliper bolt heads are one thing that change frequently during a production run, even within a model year.
Not just for Jeep, but for GM and other mfrs. I just played that game with my Grand Am.

And, you never know what the previous owner or mechanic might have used as a replacement: Allen, torx, 12 point, whatever.

Also, the '84 was a bit of an orphan, what with the CV joints and all. Stuff that works at the front axle ends for the '84 won't necessarily work for any other XJ.

Back