• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stabilizer install problem

beakie

NAXJA Forum User
I was in the process of installing my new steering stibilizer yesterday and ran into the old one being as stuck as stuck can be in the original position. I understand its pressed into place and is tapered so its a tight squeeze, but I mean I can not get this thing out.
This may have been one bad idea after another, but we started by heating the bar its in, which takes a lot as it dissapates so quickly... tried hammering it out, to no avail.
Next we thought maybe its screwed in (there is the 3/4" nut below the actual stabilizer, above the bar) so we torque on that... again nothing.
So we cut the bottom of the bolt off flush, and tried drilling out the bolt... until the bit got stuck and broke off inside (hind sight, more lubricant was needed I guess)... nothing.
Finally we tried heating it again, never got red hot just real hot, tried unscrewing it with vice grips just to get some movement (it was drilled about 60% through to the top of the bar)... you guessed it nothing.

So now what? My last resort is to take it into a shop tomorrow and have them do whatever they can to be rid of this devil bolt. Would rather save the money (not to mention the embarrasment of such a hack job to my name) by doing it myself tho... any ideas?

That stablizer bolt is a pure SOB, you were doing it right up till you tried to drill the bolt, thats a new one no one has mentioned trying before. I ended up taking mine to the shop and when that bolt came out it coulda killed someone, as it was it put one hell of dent in a tool box.
Got one to do tomorrow on one of our TJ's, not looking forward to it except at least its reachable on the TJ, not like on the XJ.. reminds me, need to go out and PB it again, been soaking it all day between doing the brakes and mounting the new tires and wheels..

Maybe a pickle fork ?

I am assuming you are talking about the bolt goes through the draglink, and not the one next to the coil spring. Have you tried leaving the nut part way on, and using a two jaw puller?

yes sorry the one on the draglink (couldn't think of name earlier) but I am unfamiliar with a 'two jaw puller'
either way it seems like this is a job for professionals, or atleast my local shop. I figure if nothing else I have all the junk off except the bolt itself so the job shouldn't be too pricy.

thanks to you both for your help, and backing up my claim of this bolt being one SOB of a job... not just massive incompitence on my part.

2 jaw gear puller:
T74104.jpg

Advance auto parts sells them fairly cheap. It worked well when I had to remove my TRE's. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Just got done doing one of the TJ's, whats interesting is that the bolt hole on the TJ is NOT tapered like the XJ, it's straight. Hard part was having to jack up the passenger side to get the spring away from the nut to remove the old one.
Replaced it with a RS5000 stablizer and also did all 4 shocks with Monroe sensatracs...boy, new canyon's, AT/KO's, shocks and Stablizer, man what a difference. With the old shocks, tires and stablizer I found my self gritting my teeth once I got over about 50mph, now it's smooth as silk up to 80mph... I woulda gone faster but there were no big downhills and I didn't feel like getting out and pushing, it's a 2.5L :D

I used a tie rod puller on mine and it finally popped off.

well maybe I'll go an fetch these parts and hope for the best... 2 jaw gear puller, tie rod puller and a pickle fork for the new adjustable trac bar I got too... less money in my pocket but more parts in my box is a good trade off.

riverfever said:
I used a tie rod puller on mine and it finally popped off.
X2 and I used a four-way tire iron for leverage. I'd suggest putting a small ratchet strap around the damper and the draglink so that when it goes, it doesn't take out your oil pan.

I'll have to put a rag or some kind of dampener on the bolt itself as the stabilizer I already took off to give more room to work under there.
I went out and got a 3 piece front end fork kit, tie rod, draglink n pitman arm forks with detachable ends for both handheld hammer and airhammer attachments.
Will try spreading this badboy out of there tomorrow after work... with something on it to keep from becoming a torpedo if/when it does come out.
thanks again

I had the same problem, I went to the part store bought a $10.00 puller and in 2 inutes with the impact on the puller it was out.

Is there a need ot get an alignment after replacing the stabilizer? I'm in the process of replacing mine myself. And yes, I'm going to get one of those 2-jaw pullers! Beautiful!

No provided you don't take the whole front suspension apart..they can be a fight though....

Back