• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building a new XJ

jeepboy381

NAXJA Forum User
Well I bought a new XJ this weekend and am trying to decide on what to do as far as lift is concerned. It will be a daily drive but also spend lots of time at the dunes, and trails. It is a 1997 4.0 automatic with the 242 case, and 8-1/4 rear axle. I just want some opinions on what I should do.
I am ditching the 8-1/4 for a Dana 44 and am going to have my front knuckles rotated on the dana 30 so I can still use the part time 4wheel drive without vibration and still have good caster. I am going to build my own radius style longarm set up, and put selectable lockers front and rear.
Should I limit my tire size to 33's or step up to 35's, my old Jeep had 33's and did awesome. For everyone who stepped up to 35's with a dana 30 did parts break alot easier, did bearings wear out faster? Did it go that many more places, and what about mileage, I have to drive this thing 40 miles a day?
My second question is about springs, I don't want them stiff but I don't want the Jeep to roll like crazy around corners. I want this thing to ride real nice!! Should I do Rubicon express 6.5 inch coils in the front?? What about leaf springs, can I get the rearend to ride as nice as the front. Does anyone know where I can get some nice riding leaf springs, that flex real good? I am thinking a 4.5 inch leaf spring and a 1.5 inch shackle would be good. Also who makes a SYE for the 242? What do you guess think from your own personal experience, what should I do?

Ive heard good things about bastard packs with s10 or dakota leafs, that net 4.5 inches, and should stay really flexy with the graphite pads that go in between the leafs.

Back