• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

integrated solenoid, or not?

Oh.

Frankly, I'd prefer a standard, replaceable solenoid. Even with the reliability of modern parts, solenoid contacts have to "make" and "break" very high current loads, and that WILL eventually burn the contacts to the point where there is a significant loss (read: resistance) across the terminals. When that happens, I think I'd sooner spend 10 minutes changing the thing, rather than sending it out for two weeks and paying an inordinate amount to ship it...

5-90

5-90 said:
Oh.

Frankly, I'd prefer a standard, replaceable solenoid. Even with the reliability of modern parts, solenoid contacts have to "make" and "break" very high current loads, and that WILL eventually burn the contacts to the point where there is a significant loss (read: resistance) across the terminals. When that happens, I think I'd sooner spend 10 minutes changing the thing, rather than sending it out for two weeks and paying an inordinate amount to ship it...

5-90

yeah, i'd have to agree

shimmy said:
whats the difference? is there any drawbacks of either?

I prefer none. I've had no problems.

5-90 said:
Oh.

5-90

What are you going on about?

I'm going on about the idea of maintenance items should be readily accessible, rather than requiring partial or total disassembly of the unit being maintained. Burying maintenance items is what happens when you let accountants, lawyers, and exterior designers get involved in engineering decisions - engineers are, by nature, lazy; and will therefore design things with that idea in mind (or the idea that they themselves are going to have to maintain the thing, which is much the same.)

It's a variation on how I select materials, select replacement parts, and design things - I do so with the assumption that the next poor schmuck to work on it will be me, I'll be standing up in a hammock, and all I'll have will be a Gerber Multi-Plier and a Swisschamp Swiss Army Knife (neither of which I'm without if I go over my property lines.) MacGyver ain't got a damn thing on me...

5-90

5-90 said:
I'm going on about the idea of maintenance items should be readily accessible, rather than requiring partial or total disassembly of the unit being maintained. Burying maintenance items is what happens when you let accountants, lawyers, and exterior designers get involved in engineering decisions - engineers are, by nature, lazy; and will therefore design things with that idea in mind (or the idea that they themselves are going to have to maintain the thing, which is much the same.)

It's a variation on how I select materials, select replacement parts, and design things - I do so with the assumption that the next poor schmuck to work on it will be me, I'll be standing up in a hammock, and all I'll have will be a Gerber Multi-Plier and a Swisschamp Swiss Army Knife (neither of which I'm without if I go over my property lines.) MacGyver ain't got a damn thing on me...

5-90

Oh, I just remove the access panel on the integrated models and replace solenoids if they're bad. :D

Back