• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lug and bolt missng?

Reichy

NAXJA Forum User
Well i bought a 93 2 door xj today at a local auction and the front driver side wheel bolt is missing. i have not recieved the jeep yet so i havnt been able to look at what it would take to replace. any ideas or thoughts? thanks

I am not much of a mechanic, but since I just replaced my front hubs on my 97 I would think you'll either need a new hub, or maybe grab a new bolt from a dealer or the wrecker... and I guess you'd have to press it in, they are a snug fit, not sure cause my new hubs came with bolts in.
take that with a grain of salt tho until someone who really knows what they are talking about checks in.

I snapped off a lug "stud" with the lug bolt about a year ago.
Been driving it ever since with no problems.
I should get it fixed someday. Too lazy and has never been an issue.

well i still need to pick up the jeep so once i get it it ill be able to tare it about and see what needs to be done.

It is a fairly simple job to do. First you will need to take off the wheel. Then remove the caliper and support it. Then remove the brake rotor. This will give you access to the broken stud. You can get a new stud at any parts store. Just tell them make/model/year/front or rear/2 0r 4 wheel drive. for the install you can use a stud installer or if you don;t have one in a pinch you can use a lug nut with some kind of spacer to fit over the non threaded are of the stud. This would also be the ideal time to do the front brakes while you are there. Please remember to use a jack stand under the axle as you will need to beat out the old stud with a hammer or air hammer.

sweet sounds easy, thanks.

RandyD71 said:
It is a fairly simple job to do. First you will need to take off the wheel. Then remove the caliper and support it. Then remove the brake rotor. This will give you access to the broken stud. You can get a new stud at any parts store. Just tell them make/model/year/front or rear/2 0r 4 wheel drive. for the install you can use a stud installer or if you don;t have one in a pinch you can use a lug nut with some kind of spacer to fit over the non threaded are of the stud. This would also be the ideal time to do the front brakes while you are there. Please remember to use a jack stand under the axle as you will need to beat out the old stud with a hammer or air hammer.

You can also use a C-clamp, if you can get it back there, or get the hub flange out for access (rear axle, see if you can pull the shaft about 6". Front axle, just remove the hub unit bearing.) A C-clamp is easier on everything else, because it's a more gradual force applied, and a more consisitent drive.

Have a largish socket - large enough to fit the stud end - on the back of the hub to catch the stud when it pops loose. A deep socket on the front (large/deep enough for the stud to fit it) works well for pushing the new one in.

Failing that, you can use a stack of washers about 9/16") and a lug nut (flat side on washers) to press the new stud in in a pinch, but it's possible to deform threads that way. Make sure to grease the top couple of washers, since it allows them to "slip" over each other easier, and you lose less force in friction that way...

5-90

Back