• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tcase linkage problem

mark

NAXJA Forum User
i did a search and didnt get anything useful, i had the flywheel replaced last saturday, and the t case wont go into neutral or 4 lo and more, i know its in the linkage, but i have no clue how to adjust it correctly, i spent about 2 hours today messing with it and couldnt get the linkages right. oh yeah the linkage part in the haynes manual sucks 2 pictures and like 3 sentances :rolleyes: if anyone can help me out id appreciate it
thanks,
mark

If it won't go even into N., I wonder if someone messed up the linkage, rather than just getting it out of adjustment. Assuming it's just adjustment, though, if it's an NP231 (command trac) it's pretty simple. There's really only one place you can adjust. If you look at the linkage, you should see that one of the rods, the one that attaches to the lever on the transfer case itself, has a sliding collar at one end, with a lockbolt to hold it tight over the rod. Loosen this bolt to allow the whole linkage to slip. Now shift the TC into 4-low (that's all the way forward) and then pull the shift lever all the way back into 4-low. Wiggle it a little to make sure it's all the way back. Then tighten the bolt. this should do it. If it's right, you should find that in 2WD, the lever is approximately horizontal. If it has a significant tilt up, you'll miss 4-low. If it tilts down, you will not go fully into 2WD.

duhhh stupid me, forgot that to say its a 242 with an aw-4 tranny, 230+k on the tranny and tcase it worked fine before the tranny was dropped to replace the flywheel

i talked to revden and woody last night on chat and they said basically its a trial and error type thing, just keep playing around with the linkage till it shifts right

It is possible that when it was put back together either the lever on the tcase was put on upside down or the bushings were messed up when the linkage was pulled apart. I can't remember what it does when the little piece on the tcase is on upside down, so it might not be it, I just know I have seen it happen. Also the bushings do wear out and if they were not careful when disconnecting it they could have lost one.
Dustin

also, the rod that comes from the lever you pull inside the cab, hits a bolt thats in the floorpan before it can get all the way to 4lo, anyone have a drawing or pic or somethingof what the linkages are supposed to look like?

Back