• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 3.5 and Shocks?

Durangoman47

NAXJA Forum User
Aight Guys....I just bought a RE 3.5 Lift kit. Some people have told me that I will get 4 to 5" of lift out of this setup. I want a total of 5"ish. So I had planned on a 1" spacer in the fornt. Does anyone have experince with this lift or know which Shocks I should order. All Help appreciated guys!

Thanks
Rick

You will get about 5-5.5" rear and about 4.5" front with the 3.5" superflex kit with full packs, so the 3/4" spacer is a good idea. You will also want to seriously consider a good quality adjustable trackbar, like the JKS model. Stay away for low end adj. trackbars, like the RE 1600 and other similar models. The RE 1600 is a one shot wonder.

As for shocks, the Old Man Emu long travels are a great shock for this kit. You will need long travels, as the standard N35/N36 OME shocks are way too short. Get the N35L/N36L OME long travels.

I run the RE1660 Extra H.D. with HD bracket. The stock bracket is almost the week link in the front end setup. I didn't think much about it tell I went to install it and noticed the diff. in the two and wow ya change that out for sure. My 4.5 re super flex kit netted me a bit over 5 up front 6 in the back took it loaded fool of tools over to a close ditch by the house and flexed it out and that took it down to 5 up front 5.5 in the rear. I now have a custom front bumper and working on a rear one with tire carrier so it should level out pretty well here soon. YOur going to love the RE Kit you got. I love mine. I drive it alot so I went with OME nitro shocks and they are great on the road and off road. I got some funky grinding sounds so I hit up JKS BPE and took care of that noise.

No full length leaf packs....Just Long AAL's. I'm not looking towards high dollar shocks. This is my Wheelin Rig only. The on road ride will be very short so I dont need a high dollar shock! So I should be looking for a shock with 5" of lift or so?

Thanks
Rick

SO your saying this is more a trail rig and your going with cheaper shocks and an aal?
Not the best way to go about a lift for a more trail rated rig thats for sure. AAL give lift but the more they flex the sooner they like to go out. Most AAL users I've seen installed and help guys rework only last about a year or so with mild trail action.
ON the other hand if your looking to go cheap try doubling up some stock XJ leaf packs along with that AAL it might help them last longer.
Shocks aren't just expencive for good DD road action. You need a good travel shock that won't limit the lift your going with. Thats mostley shock length but I wouldn't skip on those two items.

I picked this jeep up for nothing...I'm making it project cheap jeep. I have a very hard time sinking big $$ into a jeep that will be my play toy only.
I ran Normal shocks, Not long travels on my Old Ram....It was the best flexxing short arm Ram I have ever seen.
290002_108_full.jpg

12" of Lift and 36's.

I customized a ton of stuff on my Ram to make it better.
So I guess I'll have to do the same thing on this jeep to make "normal" Shocks work then.

Rick

Back