• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Park Brake Cables Too Short

kootenaycat

NAXJA Forum User
I did several searches for my question and didn't find much for an answer.

I just did a RE 3.5" lift which resulted in actual lift of about 6" on my '90 XJ and the park brake cables are maxed out when it's flexing (no rear swaybar, disco's up front), to the point of pulling them out of the backing plates. I am going to fab up new cable mounts on the body, then put a longer threaded rod in. I think it will work fine, but would prefer to just get longer cables that work with the factory mounts.

What have you guys done about the short cables? I read one response something about YJ cables, but I thought they both went along the drivers side of a YJ? I need 2 equal length cables for my handbrake.

Thanks
Kevin

kootenaycat said:
I did several searches for my question and didn't find much for an answer.

I just did a RE 3.5" lift which resulted in actual lift of about 6" on my '90 XJ and the park brake cables are maxed out when it's flexing (no rear swaybar, disco's up front), to the point of pulling them out of the backing plates. I am going to fab up new cable mounts on the body, then put a longer threaded rod in. I think it will work fine, but would prefer to just get longer cables that work with the factory mounts.

What have you guys done about the short cables? I read one response something about YJ cables, but I thought they both went along the drivers side of a YJ? I need 2 equal length cables for my handbrake.

Thanks
Kevin
you go to your parts store and order 2 PASSENGER side cables. they run acroos the axle and up the driverside on YJ's. i have em hooked up to my 44 drums, go to yuccaman.com, click on 'my jeep'

YJ cables are what you seek. You need 2 passenger side cables from 95 and up models. There was something strange about them when I ordered mine (not the fact that there was 2 different cables ...something else). Upon closer inspection, we found that the part numbers were the same so it didn't really matter.

riverfever said:
YJ cables are what you seek. You need 2 passenger side cables from 95 and up models. There was something strange about them when I ordered mine (not the fact that there was 2 different cables ...something else). Upon closer inspection, we found that the part numbers were the same so it didn't really matter.

95 and up? I always get confused what that means, but you need YJ passenger cables not TJ. I thought the YJ cables seemed too long but I found a way to keep them out of the way.

Got mine from Rockauto.com which I ound usually has the cheapest prices, even with shipping.

Stock vs. YJ
170272_76_full.jpg

_nicko_

Back