• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear Pattern Check XJ44

roberob89

NAXJA Forum User
Could someone please check my set-up. Here's the rundown. went from 3.55 to 4.56.

It's a XJ D44, detroit locker, Yukon 4.56 R&P.

This is my 1st attempt

Pinion preload- 10 in/lbs-.048- nut torqued to 200 ft/lbs(I'll up the torque later?). for now. checked without carrier installed
Pinion Depth-.042
NRGS-.031
RGS-.044
Backlash-.003 checked in 4 places- I know it's really tight but I didn't want to change it yet.

All shims sizes are the same as the stock set up except the PD to which I added .003. Any and all feedback and comments are welcome

R1.jpg

R2.jpg

180 out
180out.jpg

180out2.jpg

A touch deep, but not bad. I would set the backlash and double check. If you're using set-up bearings, you'll probably end up taking a couple thousandths out. If it's a finish bearing on the pinion, you're probably close enough to leave it.

You might want to check the run-out,the pattern seems to be moving!

I would say you are close. Are you using setup bearings? The pattern being close to the toe is your tight BL. Get BL in spec and your pattern will clean up. Also, try to get a lot of "load/drag" on the pinion when you run your pattern. It really gets a clearer pattern. I think your depth is close. I say your next move is getting BL in spec. If you are using setup bearings, I would say get BL closer and go for final. You are close.

Here's the first attempt
1st Try

Here's the second attempt. I moved .005 to pass side and added an extra .010 to each side to load up the carrier a bit. Backlash is still tight at .005-.006. by the way these are with set up bearings. Thanks for the help.

PD .042
RGS .049
NRGS .045

2nd try

I would run that. It looks pretty nice.

Don't be surprised to have your pattern change a little with the install of finish bearings.

now the second try is perfect. time for final.
roberob89 said:
Here's the first attempt
1st Try

Here's the second attempt. I moved .005 to pass side and added an extra .010 to each side to load up the carrier a bit. Backlash is still tight at .005-.006. by the way these are with set up bearings. Thanks for the help.

PD .042
RGS .049
NRGS .045

2nd try

roberob89 said:
Here's the first attempt
1st Try

PD .042
RGS .049
NRGS .045

2nd try

Ok here's my final with the finish bearings. I couldn't really get a good pattern in the paint for some reason but if you look at the residual paint you can see a good pattern.

Backlash tightened up to .004
PD .042
RGS .o49
NRGS .045

I don't have a way to press the carrier bearings off so my question is it bad to to run the backlash that tight? I have a 12 ton press but don't see how it's possible to get the bearing off wothout ruining them. Here are the pics.

3rd try Finish bearings

Thanks RAWBrown and everyone else for your input

I was looking over your thread and pictures and it made me realize that I know absolutely nothing about regearing or installing a locker... I now know why it cost so much to get gears or lockers installed... job well done...

a bearing seperator will do the job of pulling the carrier bearings.
there is a cheap one at harbor freight or a good one is about $70ish at NAPA.
Yes by my standard, BL is to tight. some run it with no problems, I don't.
I think the pattern would improve if the BL was at .007".
and as it stands, I also see the pinion being a bit shallow. maybe adding .003" under the pinion might do the trick.
an ideal pattern...
http://rawbrown.com/127-2788_IMG.JPG
I do recomend spending the money on a bearing tool and making sure its done right.

Its not that hard. you just have to be patient and take your time. Don't ever rush a gear install. truth of the matter is, installing gears cost money. either paying someone to do it for you or buying to tools and time to do it yourself.
and reading the pattern? its alot easier that one would think.
if the oval is centered to deep into the root of the ring gear tooth, then the pinion is too deep. if its centered at the crown/tip of the tooth then its too shallow. Backlash is even easier. the hardest thing is figuring out how much shim to move at a given time.
Zice said:
I was looking over your thread and pictures and it made me realize that I know absolutely nothing about regearing or installing a locker... I now know why it cost so much to get gears or lockers installed... job well done...

Back