• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG MTs or MTRs

bac XJ

NAXJA Forum User
just wanted to know everyones opinion on each tire from your own experiences and things youve heard, which one wears faster and stuff like that...thanks

please do a search on tires. This gets asked about once a week.
The short version is
BFG for mud
MTRs for rock

bac XJ said:
just wanted to know everyones opinion on each tire from your own experiences and things youve heard, which one wears faster and stuff like that...thanks

i switched from bfg's to mt/r's cuz i got tired of ripping out sidewalls.

i'm not going back.

BFG's with far out last ANY tire mentioned in this thread so far.
FYI, the GoodYear MTR is a ALL TERRAIN NOT a MUD terrain. It also has a much better/thicker/more durable side wall.

Please do a search.....

Sumation, Its just like what 87Manche said....

CW

cwlongshot said:
BFG's with far out last ANY tire mentioned in this thread so far.
FYI, the GoodYear MTR is a ALL TERRAIN NOT a MUD terrain. It also has a much better/thicker/more durable side wall.

Please do a search.....

Sumation, Its just like what 87Manche said....

CW

I agree....I have MTRs and while I do love them there are times in the mud that they get all clogged up and leave me wishing I had a true mud tire... But I still love them.... I wheel in Sand, mild rock and hard dirt and mud... while driving to and from the trail head....Great all-around tire but they are not a Mud Tire.

I choose them for the awsome side walls and good all-around performance

I don't know if anyone else has this problem with BFG muds, but every single time I air down to anything below 20psi and wheel in any type of mud or snow I end up with leaky beads. The next day I usually have at least 3 completely flat tires when I wake up. I love everything about the BFG MT other than this. The wear life is excellent, and the traction is superb. I won't be buying them again though because having flat tires all the time is getting pretty annoying.

PAPXJ said:
I don't know if anyone else has this problem with BFG muds, but every single time I air down to anything below 20psi and wheel in any type of mud or snow I end up with leaky beads. The next day I usually have at least 3 completely flat tires when I wake up. I love everything about the BFG MT other than this. The wear life is excellent, and the traction is superb. I won't be buying them again though because having flat tires all the time is getting pretty annoying.

Sounds like you are getting debris in the bead.... I had a CJ with Mickey T's I would wheel it at about 3 psi in the sand and would have issues until I learned to air them back to 40 PSI and then they would hold... Since it was a trailer queen I would leave it at 40 until the next trip. Then take it back down to where I wanted them and they would hold for a few days while wheeling.

i have the MTs and i love them! the wear is great and they are awesome in everything! up until sunday i would swear by these tires! after a full day of wheeling my 31s pretty hard i ran into the problem a lot of ppl complain about with the MTs, the sidewalls :explosion mine are not completely cut but i have a cut mark about 4-5 inches long on the sidewall and it has caused my tire to now leak so everyday i have to stop by the gas station by my house, before work, and air it back up. i know there are many different types of tire sealers and patches but im clueless when it comes to those. i know some sealers ruin your tires bythrowing them off balance... im getting new tires soon but i would like to fix this one tire so i dont have to worry about it.... any help is appreciated!

Back