• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift is done, Trying to decide on a tire

green50gt

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, so I pieced together a lift on my 98 Cherokee. By the time the winch and bumper go on, front and back Ill be sitting at about 4 inches of lift. Here are my idea's on Tires.

Option 1. Very cheap, Very easy. 30x11.50 TSL SX's. I have owned SX's before, and they are tough as nails. Nice sidewalls. Though the lugs aren't very big on this particular tire.

Option 2. Very very cheap, don't care for the look. 31x11.50 LTB's. Not really feeling it.

Option 3. IN LOVE with this tire. 31x12.50 SSR's. Short, Fat, big lugs, soft, will give a real nice stance on my Rig. However pricey at $150 a tire.

As you can see, im trying to stay away from 31x10.50's. I just think they look too skinny on Cherokee's, especially TrXus MT's, but I do like them. If I could find some pictures of someone sporting some 31x10.50 SSR's, or TSL's, or even Baja Claws(which I dig) that may help me out some.

This is a daily driver. 1-2 Silver Lake Dunes trips a year, 2 Badlands trips a year, and maybe 6 trips a year out on the trails. So there is a little background.

Any help would be appreciated. Swampers only though, maybe some Baja Claws...nothing else.

Derek

Roads said:
Why would you want swampers on a DD? If it were me I'd go mud teerains.

Please disregard my previous post. I was thinking of boggers. Whenever I see the name Super Swamper, I think of boggers.

4 inches of lift and 31s might look a bit small. I would go with 32s. I had 31s on my 4.5 re lift and they looked silly. The 32s looked better. Now they look funny again because I trimmed the fenders 3 inchs to clear 35s up front when flexing. Sounds like a really agressive tire for a DD. I could be wrong. We got more rock out here than mud and loose stuff for the most part.

I'm sitting arond 4.5 and have 32 TSL radials and love them on my DD, my hearing is getting worse but I don't listen to anybody anyway.
The TSL's have a little brother now the MT which might be a good way to go I've seen them they look right and are siped for wet roads.

Last edited:
jeepedited4ws.jpg
I have a 3" lift and run 31" TrXus MT's. It's my DD and they are not too noisy on the road and cleans out mud pretty well. Also it's actually possible to drive with them on wet roads.

Last edited:
sounds like looks of the tire are more important than off road ability. plus a dd on bias-ply? ok which is it, looks good or good tire for the situation. a dd would be better off with a radial for sure, bias ply or very aggressive radial would be preferable for off road. any swampers you run on the street are going to wear out fast( i have tsl's) you mentioned ssr's, and they are a good tire, but will wear out very fast because of the soft compound. of course Interco loves it because it sells more tires. you have a very ecclectic group of choices there that you are considering. a., i would get a taller tire,b., get a radial for mostly on road use, with the occasional off road adventure,my $.02

Mickey Thompson MTZs are on sale on 4wdHardware, $109 for 31s.

Bias onroad is more than fine for me, I ran 31x13.50 SX's on my daily driven wrangler, and loved it. I had about 15K on them before I sold the YJ in favor of a XJ, and there was almost NO wear. Whatever I get, I will only be running them in the spring-summer-fall anyway, the winter salt while ruin the rims. My buddy had a set of SSR's on his 1 ton dodge, and got 45K out of them...

They way I flex, I dont think I will fit anything more than a 31 without some trimming, shoot, I figure im gonna rub in the back even with 31's..Let me see if I can grab a picture of my ride flexing, and youll see what I mean.

I did think about going with the new 12-15 TSL. Which is actually 32x12x15 at $125, thats cheap. But I honestly dont think I can run 32's...Let me see if I can post some pictures.

Thanks for posting the picture of those Trxus. They are an AWESOME looking tire, but just look too skinny for me.

Flexjay, I want a bada$$ looking tire that preforms when I need it to. Bias or Radial, I dont care.

Ok, so excuse the picture, I was on my way home to remove the adhesive for the modling. Look how far up the rear stuffs, the leaf is actually arched the wrong way...I might just have to bumpstop it.

normal_10768-100_0156%7E0.jpg

no idea what you have against "the looks" of ltbs, good tire, just not what i would run onroad. i use them as a trail only tire.

Green I have the Trxus M/T's on my XJ love them been great on trails,mud and worked great tlast here in our Indiana winters.
Picture001.jpg

Bowhunter, nice looking jeep. You havent by chance been to halloween havoc in Walkerton with your XJ have you? looks familiar.

Ramsey, No offense to you, I had one as a spare on my wrangler, and I just don't prefer the looks of them. I like a tire with something on the sidewall. I have never seen them under a cherokee, so maybe that would change my opinion of them?

None taken, but what does the looks of it have to do with its performance?

That said, on a DD perhaps the trxus would be the best choice.

IMO the radail TSL's and SSR's are a decent DD tire. I do it. they wear nice for a semi mud tire driven on pavement 80% of the time. that yellow jeep needs more lift.

Looking at that pic of your red XJ and hearing you say the leaves arch invert, you definitely need to work on your bumpstops. And your lift, are you sure that's 4"? That looks shorter than mine when I was on a sagging 3" AAL budget lift and 31's. (now I'm at 6.5 and they've worn to like a 30" :confused1 )

About the LTB's, if you are sitting at 4" and you don't mind cutting a little you should check out the 33x13.5's. Nice and wide with good tread blocks. The tires ZachMan mentioned might be worth looking into as well. I'm actually thinking about them for my next set. They're a siped MT with aggressive side lugs and are supposed to be quiter than most other MT's on the road.

And no offense, but it sounds like your describing Thornbirds when you say you want a tire with something on the sidewall that looks "bada$$" :laugh3:

MTR's and Toyo's are super expensive...Plus I don't think Toyo makes their MT in a 31 do they? About the only way I would run Thornbirds is if someone payed me to run them...

I had 31x13.50's TSL SX's on my wrangler, and I actually found a set local for $400 with about 500 miles on them... Now when I had them on the wrangler, I had them on 8 wide wheels, which worked, but they really need to be on 10 wides...with that being said, those bad boys would be SUPER wide under the cherokee. I don't think I will have any issues in the front, but then again I have not been able to flex without the sway bar... In the back, yes, I definitely need to address some bumpstops.

In the front, I actually gained a little over 5 inches of lift, and in the back I got right around 4. However I say a total of 4 because I assume my winch and bumper will bring it down a little.

My fancy are the SX's and the SSR's. I just wished they made the Trxus MT's In a 31x12.50 fashion

Back