• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 to 5 speed trans. swap...no cranky :(

rguy

NAXJA Forum User
To make a long story short...I removed a AW4 and installed a 5 speed in my '90 XJ. Now, the engine won't crank. I'm willing to bet it has something to do with the gear selector switch, but I don't know how to bypass it. There are 2 connectors under the hood, white and black, that I had to disconnect from the AW4. I assume these have something to do with the neutral safety switch thingy. Since the 5 speed does not have a harness for these connectors to plug into, how do I bypass the neutral safety switch?

thanks.

Rob

There should be more than two wires - at least three.

The neutral safety switch in an AW4 also serves as your backup lamp switch. Your AX-15 (or BA/10 or NV3550) has a backup lamp switch. Plug the wiring for the backup lamp into that switch and complete the other circuit. If you jump the wires and the backup lights iluminate you've chosen the wrong one ;)

There should be a 8 pin connector that has only 6 wires that goes down to the transmission. Connect the 2 black wires together and that should do it. 1 wire is all black and the other 1 is black with a light colored stripe and they are in the connector right next to each other. That is what worked for me on my 94 XJ.

Rob

I did this same swap on an '87 (should be the same harness as yours). I ended up grounding the NSS wire in the engine compartment, I'm not sure what color it was I'll check under the hood for ya in a few. For the backup lights I just figured out which two wires were for the backup switch on the tranny and wired them in a hot circuit from the fuse box to the light harness.

I'm just going the other way (5 speed to auto for the wife to drive) There is a connector for the trans to go to the main harness for backup lights that had a pair of wires that went to the clutch pedal (pedal depressed safety switch)

Back