• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spy Pics of 8.8 Upgrade kit

92 Green YJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. thought those of you running 8.8s like myself would like to check out some pictures of the New Superior Axle and Gear 8.8 upgrade kit. they just sent this to me and asked me to test it out. who can tell me whats different? besides the ARB that is
PICT6121.jpg

To bad they cannot solve the issue of the spun axle tubes.

Does it just use standard C-clip eliminators?

kid4lyf said:
Does it just use standard C-clip eliminators?

x2, have yet to see a set of those work well in the long term.

CRASH said:
x2, have yet to see a set of those work well in the long term.
And if so, it's really just a set of alloy shafts and c-clip elims.
Avail anywhere.

What I'd like to see is a good, reasonably priced, spool that will work with c-clips.

NO!! It does NOT use standard drag racing style C-clip eliminators. this kit uses a completely new piece that was specifically designed to handle the stresses and side loads that a lifted vehicle in an offroad environment is subjected to

92 Green YJ,

Can you share the relationship that you have with Superior Axle and Gear... and why would they let you have a beta product before it is released to the general public ? Just trying to understand what is being offered

And anyother pics that you can share will be good also..

thanks

Jeff

It also brings the axle to a 61 3/8" wms to wms

92 Green YJ said:
NO!! It does NOT use standard drag racing style C-clip eliminators. this kit uses a completely new piece that was specifically designed to handle the stresses and side loads that a lifted vehicle in an offroad environment is subjected to
That's great. I'd be very interested in how this was done.

JAS said:
92 Green YJ,

Can you share the relationship that you have with Superior Axle and Gear... and why would they let you have a beta product before it is released to the general public ? Just trying to understand what is being offered

And anyother pics that you can share will be good also..

thanks

Jeff

Well, I am a freelance writer for Petersen's 4Wheel and Offroad. As such, I was introduced to Mike Denton the CEO of Superior through a mutual friend and was let in on the development of this kit. Unfortunatley, I can't spill too much info at this time because these are still in the test phase. but here is what I can tell you:

1. The kit uses 31 spline, 4140 chromoly shafts which are drilled and threaded for dual bolt patterns, both 5 on 4.5" and 5 on 5"
2. these are not standard c-clip eliminators, the kit uses a special, newly designed flange which is designed to handle the side loads our vehicles see in an offroad environment.
3. this is a very easy install which could be done with no more than a few wrenches, a file, and a hacksaw in your driveway
4. the kit will work with any locker or differential available for the 8.8
5. the kit will widen the axle by a little more than an inch. going from the stock 59.5" WMS to 61 and 3/8" WMS
6. the kit will work with disc or drum brake equipped 8.8s

92 Green YJ said:
Well, I am a freelance writer for Petersen's 4Wheel and Offroad. As such, I was introduced to Mike Denton the CEO of Superior through a mutual friend and was let in on the development of this kit. Unfortunatley, I can't spill too much info at this time because these are still in the test phase. but here is what I can tell you:

1. The kit uses 31 spline, 4140 chromoly shafts which are drilled and threaded for dual bolt patterns, both 5 on 4.5" and 5 on 5"
2. these are not standard c-clip eliminators, the kit uses a special, newly designed flange which is designed to handle the side loads our vehicles see in an offroad environment.
3. this is a very easy install which could be done with no more than a few wrenches, a file, and a hacksaw in your driveway
4. the kit will work with any locker or differential available for the 8.8
5. the kit will widen the axle by a little more than an inch. going from the stock 59.5" WMS to 61 and 3/8" WMS
6. the kit will work with disc or drum brake equipped 8.8s

Thank-you very much for the extra info...

That lends much more credibility to everything. I will be checking this out closer as the public introduction happens and when they start taking orders for this kit.

Jeff

Back