• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RENIX and Air Pockets...

5-90

NAXJA Forum User
Thanks to Highlander, I finally have pictures of "thermostat drilling" that I've been getting asked for for some time now - I just haven't had a need to pull one out. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it.)

They're up at the RENIXPower group (groups.yahoo.com/group/RENIXPower) in the "photos" section. There are three - two views of the drilled thermostat, and one of the thermostat set in place, so you should get the idea.

Wyn drilled 1/8" holes in the flange, which is just fine, because I have also done so (on reflection, they seemed a little large. However, they worked just fine.) The only thing I'd change would be to relocate the holes closer to the edge of the flange, but not so far that the holes get covered with the mounting surface, gasket, or gasket sealer. His holes are located just fine - it's probably more a matter of preference than anything else. The critical point should come across - one hole should be above the highest point of the valve proper, and the other below the lowest point.

As I have explained before (several times...) the upper hole will allow air to pass OUT of the engine block and into the surge tank/football, and the lower will will allow coolant to go INTO the engine block to displace the air. Doing this mod - probably an extra two minutes' work! - will allow you to fill your RENIX cooling system more easily, and will save you a lot of trouble if, for instance, you blow a head gasket (which pushes gasses into the cooling system. Left unchecked, that will cause an overheat condition.)

Any questions? PM me...

Once again - THANKS WYN!

Cool. I've been doing that for years now on various cars, although I usually only drill one hole. Some thermostats have a floating bobber thingy (for lack of a better term) in a pre-drilled hole, in that case I just cut the bobber out and leave the hole unrestricted :)

hah.. the guy at the autoparts store asked if I wanted the thermostat with the jiggle valve.... I thought he was high.. he looked high..

I guess he wasn't retarded... just really baked...

quick question :)

I ended up getting a t-stat with the jiggle valve on it. Can I drill the 12 and 6 holes in it as described and leave the valve alone? Or would it be better to drill out the jiggle valve and use it as a 6 or 12 hole instead and just drill one hole? I guess it would give me 3 holes possibly if i leave the jiggle valve in is why i am asking.

I drilled holes at 6 and 12 on my current t-stat that had the "jiggle valve" and have been running it that way for 4+ months with no issue. I never had to go through the normal burping process either. YMMV.

I drilled holes at 6 and 12 on my current t-stat that had the "jiggle valve" and have been running it that way for 4+ months with no issue. I never had to go through the normal burping process either. YMMV.

Thank you :). I will drill the holes then and try to get my rig back running maybe by the end of today :).

I did the thermostat housing mod here: http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Cooling/BurpAirMod.htm

The petcock (that word always cracks me up) I used has a "nipple" (another great word) on it that I slip a piece of vinyl hose on, crack the petcock, add coolant--system is burped in less than 1 minute.

I also always use the Stant SuperStat Premium thermostat.

Being as lazy as I am, I have only drilled one hole and oriented it at 12:00. I figure the lower radiator hose and radiator will allow more than enough coolant to get into the block since the pump is on the output side, there are no restrictions.

5-90: your pics are limited to members only over on yagoo... just fyi.

Yah. Doesn't cost anything to sign up - and just let us know who you are - but I got tired of going through and wiping out the SPAM once a week. It was getting stupid...

SPAM would dry up and go away if people would stop being silly enough to click on it and buy stuff - but we all know that's not going to happen. Until it does, some of us are going to get aggressive about getting rid of the nonsense. Hate to do it, but there it is (for starters, it's a pain to deal with, and it's a pain to get rid of!)

Back