• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission will not shift past reverse! Help Please!

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so i have an AW4/NP231 in the jeep if that helps, i drove it fine earlier, and now i go to get in it, and the tranny simply will not physically shift past reverse no matter what. I had to put the t-case in neutral and push the jeep to get it back in my driveway. What am i looking at here for possibilities? Im at a loss guys, would really appreciate the help

Thanks all

Start by unhooking the shifter cable at the drivers side of the tranny. Carefully as its plastic. You should see two cables. One is the shifter cable and the other is part of the interlock. If you still can't move the shifter, pull the trim around the shifter stalk and inspect. It might be as simple as the t-handle needs pressed back down.

If the problem seems to be the tranny, try removing the NSS sensor as it may be jammed up inside. Search on NSS and clean for a summary on removing it - might as well clean it while it's out too.

Pop off the cover plate that says "PRND12". Look at the base of the shifter. There will be an orange-ish copper cable with a white connector on center, and a black cable with a black connector on the right. The copper cable is your shift cable DONT TOUCH IT. The black cable is the lock cable. Take a long-handled flat-head screwdriver, remove the C-clip (if it is equipped with one), and pop the cable off of the shifter, then tape it out of the way. I did this years ago with mine with no further problems. Recently, I cut it out of the truck altogether. There is no reason why grown adults need these kinds of devices in place to start with.

Back