• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom Exhaust, Looking for Opinions

TF8

NAXJA Forum User
Since the exhaust has pretty much fallen of the xj and the cat is shot plus I probably need new o2 sensors since they have about 60k on them from the factory I figured it is now time to build a new exhaust.

So I figure I'll start with at the downpipe and work my way to the tip asking questions and looking for ideas or problems I might run into. Before everyone says this will be a lot of work just remember I enjoy fabrication and welding.

From the downpipe I plan on going to the junkyard and picking up a downpipe to cat section of exhaust to model mine after without having to pull mine to figure it out. Im going to make a new flange to meet the header then use sections of mandrel prebent tubing of 2.25" to get to just past the crossmember. Since I have about 4" of lift I dont think I will need to crush th e tube like the stock one to clear the front drive shaft. Does anyone know any places that sell the prebent stuff cheaper or has a better selection than jcwhitney? I have a 99 and was wondering if a 91+ downpipe was the same with exception of the resonator I have that sits right between the oil pan and tranny pan? Does it really do anything? My intent was to replace it with a flex joint to take some stresses off the manifold when I bash the thing into rocks.

Next is the first hanger. I plan on using a bayonet mount like stock into the bushing right above the crossmember. The thing is mine has a hole about .8" in diameter. Now I could make a hanger with a sleeve over it to fit in the hole or get a new bushing which sounds like the best idea. Is this a stealership only part? Anyone ever changed one? At the end of the pipe I plan on making a flange to mount the cat.

Speaking of the cat I plan on picking up an ebay special. Any brands to avoid or that have worked well. I figure I dont really need a high flow one as I'm really going more for solid than performance. I am planning on picking up one of the rectangular shaped cats compared to the stock round one to pick up some clearance and keep the carpet from burning.

After the cat I plan another custom set of flanges into a flowmaster series muffler. I plan right now on getting a 50 series. The sound I'm going for is an aggressive sound when I get on it but not something that is going to make me hate driving my jeep. You guys think the 50 is about right?

After the 50 I think I'm going to get a rustys tailpipe. By this point I may be tired of welding exhaust pipe. Plus at 80$ it looks like its cheaper than the prebent pieces to make a custom one. I figure I'll get it without the tip, turn it down before the shackle and make a hanger that goes in the stock rubber hanger.

As far as 02 sensor go I plan on picking up a set of the ebay specials since I really dont feel like braking out my metic 18mm tap. And a $7 shipped I consider them a deal. Am I correct in thinking that I want the middle of the sensor right in the middle of exhaust flow? I plan on using bosch sensors in their original locations. I can use the univeral ones since I can solder and just use the old connectors?

Lastly I was wondering if you could buy the high temp exhaust gasket material in flat sheets for custom flanges? And when all is done I plan on using a good aluminizing coating. Anyone recommend a good brand?

Thanks for the help guys. This should be a fun project.

Tyler Forbes

sounds similar to my setup but with a little changes

i plan on running stock downpipe and then going to 2.5" pipe to a 50 series flowmaster(no cat). then a rustys tailpipe. i plan on running a o2 simulator. should be good.

Back