• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange one.

bgcntry72

NAXJA Forum User
Pulled an ECU from a '98 in a yard to keep as a backup to my '99. When I install it, all is well, and the engine seems to run better than with the '99 computer it came with. The only exception is that with the '98 ecu, I have no cruise control. The light will not come on, nor will it activate. If I swap the '99 box back in, the cruise works fine. Any ideas? Both trucks had no ABS, AW4, 231, etc, if that matters. TIA

That would be my guess as well -- maybe the donor vehicle wasn't equipped with cruise, so its computer wasn't programmed to recognize it. The OBD-II computers are flash programmable -- maybe it could be flashed to activate cruise control, but a dealer would probbly charge more to do that (although it requires about 30 seconds) than you paid for the unit.

My 1999 did not have cruise control when I drove it off the lot. The dealer installed it later. When I asked him today, he told me that nothing had to be done to the computer when the cruise control was installed. I don't know if the donor vehicle had it or not.

Try the architect's initial approach to all things electronic:
Plug in the 'new' unit, disconnect the battery then reconnect.

-Rick

PS: I can do most anything you want with concrete, masonry, steel, wood and glass; but I'm stupid when it comes to electronics. :rolleyes:

Update

Removed MSD Blaster coil and went back to Ecoil after finding a plug at a boneyard. Problem solved. According to my codes, I was getting a faulty voltage reading from the aftermarket coil, as well as misfires. Stock is good.

Back