• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hi 9

Jump This

Just another minion!
Was the high nine ever a production item. That is to say was it a factory item or are they only an aftermarket modification.
The reason I ask.......I can get my hands on a nine with a detroit locker and the four fifty six ring and pinion but it is a low nine.
sorry for spelling everything out...its dark in here and I can read the numbered keys!!!
Rick R

Negative Rick (unless there's a rare beast I'm unaware of.) There are two manufactures.

Currie has theirs - uses 8.8" ring gear.

True Hi-9 has their (the new kids on the block) with a 9" ring gear.

GSequoia said:
Negative Rick (unless there's a rare beast I'm unaware of.) There are two manufactures.

Currie has theirs - uses 8.8" ring gear.

True Hi-9 has their (the new kids on the block) with a 9" ring gear.

Don't forget Strange Eng. Currie licenses their high 9" housing from Strange from what I understand but those are the big three.

The True Hi 9 is the only one that uses a 9 inch ring gear. The others are an 8.8 variant. The Hi 9 is also way, way higher on the pinion. Definitely the epitome of sexy. You know you want it....you need it. Now go earn the money saltillo boy!:wave:

-Dan

Dan Turner said:
The True Hi 9 is the only one that uses a 9 inch ring gear. The others are an 8.8 variant. The Hi 9 is also way, way higher on the pinion. Definitely the epitome of sexy. You know you want it....you need it. Now go earn the money saltillo boy!:wave:

-Dan
Earn the money?
Sheee it brother! I got CREWS to earn the money for me!! :D
Okay....so thats a bunch of crap. I'm in the middle of a small ass
tile job that wants to last all freeegin week!
But another question.
If I have a ford 9", would any of the companies do the work on mine?
The only reason I am asking is that the Comanche with the cool rear suspention, hasn't sold yet and the guy has come way down on the price, but it has a detroit locked 9", low pinion, and IF I were to buy it, can I get it set up the way I want????
Rick R

Jump This said:
Earn the money?
Sheee it brother! I got CREWS to earn the money for me!! :D
Okay....so thats a bunch of crap. I'm in the middle of a small ass
tile job that wants to last all freeegin week!
But another question.
If I have a ford 9", would any of the companies do the work on mine?
The only reason I am asking is that the Comanche with the cool rear suspention, hasn't sold yet and the guy has come way down on the price, but it has a detroit locked 9", low pinion, and IF I were to buy it, can I get it set up the way I want????
Rick R

I believe the detroits are all the same for a 9 inch, so you could use that. They have Richmond gear ( I think) Make custom gear sets for them. If that 9 housing has the big bearing ends (truck style) Might want to ask if you can use the 3rd member housing for a 35 spline, if they have any bearings that will work with the 31 spline detroit (bigger OD, smaller ID) That way if you ever want to upgrade to 35 splines, you can without chaning the expensive 3rd member. I have no idea if this is possible, but I would definitely ask.

I have some friends with their stuff and apparently the guys at Hi 9 are super cool and easy to work with.

-Dan

Hi-9 does all the setup themselves so you would have to send them your locker and they would discount the price. It is all on their website. However the discount is much less than the cost of a detroit, so you may be better off selling your complete 3rd member and just buying a complete hi-9 setup.

The only drawback I would see with putting a LP 9" in an MJ is the longer distance between the TC and the pinion yoke. With an XJ, the pinion needs to be rotated up more, essentially reducing the length that is hanging down so low. With the MJ, the third member is going to be sitting there pretty much flat. The LP 9" is a long housing to boot.

Back