• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Muffler/ hitches?

McHuge

NAXJA Forum User
so i hope i dont get flamed for this but i just got my first vehicle a 97 XJ sprt 4 dr 4wd, pretty happy about it, and im not very familiar with how to work on vehicles at all but i would for sure like to get into it, and i was pleased to come across this site.

Anyways to the point, i dont have much extra cash around because im still paying it off, but i was interested in getting a new muffler with a little nicer sound to it and a hitch because the day i got it i got stuck pretty good and no hitch to mount a tow strap to or anything. but yah as i say im new to all the terminology and everything but anyone have any reccomendations?

Muffler wise you could have a shop put anything you want under there. As far as hitches most all of the made for XJ hitches will fit. There is lots of stuff here on hitches and how to work on your Cherokee. Just do a search.

As far as hitches go if you can find a used cherokee stock hitch possibly in the recycler/junk yards that would probably be your best bet. They should work and are interchangable thru the years.

For mufflers most ppl here have flowmaster and are happy with them. I myself have a flowmaster 50 series with deltaflow technology and think its perfect, not too loud but not to mellow. The 40 serirs is a bit louder but some like it. I had a local muffler shop do it, installed the 50 series and a chrome tip for 160$, look around.

To get started on working on your jeep i reccommend you invest in a haynes/chiltons repair manual- usually 20$ or less at a repair parts store.

goodluck
pete

You can pick up a class 3 reese hitch at tractor supply for around $120, that is 6000 lbs tow and 600 lbs tongue weight. As far as a cherokee manual, I would recommend Chiltons if you can find one, then you will know how to take apart and put back together your xj.

I just in the last month got a hi performance tailpipe and catalytic converter from Summit. It was $100 buck each ($206 total I think) and the shipping was free. :party: It sounds pretty good but just a shade too much "drone" at or below 35mph. I've heard with just the tail pipe it's not as pronounced. Above that it sounds great. For the money it's like a broke drum. You can't beat it. (now that I've said that I'm sure someone will turn up a better price.):rolleyes:
Good Wheelin' to ya,
Cherokid

dont waist your money on a reese hitch those things hang down so low the bottom out over speed bumps. j/k but the do hang very low, just get a hidden hitch or drawtite hitch.

if you want to put out the money i think you can get a member ship to ALL DATA. really nice program for shops but i think you can get it at home online. you can get any car ever made on it. and welcome to NAXJA!

Back