• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix still wont run, MORE THINGS DONE

tealcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
as some of you remember, last week i posted about my high output stroker, in my renix jeep running for a bit, then dying

It does it idling, at WOT and everywhere inbetween. Its heat related, the harder i get on it, the sooner it does it

I installed an O2 sensor into the manifold today
Image(110).jpg

Image(109).jpg

Image(111).jpg

the A/F gauge works well

now, after it dies (it wont start until it cools off a bit) I dont have spark, but i already tried replacing the coil

I'm really starting to wonder if the open header is heating up the CKP, although it ohms out to 150 ohms when it wont start, 200 ohms when it does
Spec calls for 200 +-75, so its still in spec

Tomorrow im going to do some down pipe work, ovalize a piece of 3" to fit, weld it on, and see if that helps

Also, i think my motor is running hot, the gauge says 120*, but theres no way, the temp sensor ohms out to 175 ohms, about 220*, and everything seems that warm, i think im going to try to burp the cooling system tomorrow too.

Check the resistor on the firewall near the airbox. Its for the fuel pump. Its a white porcelain block with two wires on it. Just jumper the wires two each other and see what happens. Sometimes when the block gets old it shorts out, works fine when cold but when heated up it it fails and no juice to fuel pump.

sounds like a problem with my buddys 4.7, it was the crankshaft p senor wires melting/melted, it would cut on an off whenever. moved the sensor to the front of the balancer along with the hesco wiring harness, made for cj's converting to 4.0's. runs fine

i rewired the CKP, wires arent melted, i also by passed the ballast resistor i was told it was to keep the pump quite, lotta ppl have dont it w/o probs, down pipe is goin on tmrw, so well see

Thanks for the help!

tealcherokee said:
i rewired the CKP, wires arent melted,
Thanks for the help!
Lots of times it's the sensor itself that breaks down, so rewiring it may not fix it. From what you have described, I'd be replacing it.

do these jeeps have an ignition control module? i would assume so, but not certain...anyway, we had a freshly built 22re in my uncles yota, we were having the same problem, started replacing things, and it turned out to be the ignition module......dont know if this helps, but thought id throw it out there.......

putting the down pipe on fixed it, it seems....

then the CKP finally went, ohms out to about 10k lol

now on to my over heating issues....

temp sensors ohms out to 185-165 ohms, 212-230 ish.....too hot
IAT at a whopping 200 ohms... like 200*!!!!!!!!!

that cant be normal

i pulled the t stat, just in case, no help

So your temp sensor CLAIMS it's 212 - 230.

Are you positive teh vehicle is actually running hot? If you are not buy or borrow another temp sensor and give it a whirl.

Pulling a thermostat will not gain you anything - Renix's LOVE to run at about 190, in fact they run much better hot than cool. In any case you're exceeding that for a reason and that reason is not your thermostat.

Now - What do you have for a radiator? Is it new? If it's not new or if it is a GDI (even if the GDI is brand new) take it to a reputable radiator shop and have them pull the tank ends and inspect it. I've had a clogged GDI from the factory.

Back