• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is the 8.25 worth locking?

HandBuiltXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I need to lock the rear of my rig and was wondering if the chrysler 8.25 was worth putting a 500 dollar locker into, or should i upgrade to a stronger rear first. The jeep is used for chase truck in the desert and i like to rockclimb and climb on cars in my spare time through the week. And have came to the conclusion that i realllllllly need to at least lock my rear.

your thoughts and opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

john

It depends on what size tire your running. IMHO if your running anything smaller than 33's then you'll doughtfully ever have any problems with it (unless youlike being stuped on it). Of corse you can get larger tires to work you just need to be carefull. I plan on locking my 29 spline 8.1/4 and running at least 32's for now maybe 35's way on down the road.

EDIT: $500 I hope your talking air locker, other slectable . If not you getting hosed at that price.

It all depends on the maximum tire size you think you'll ever run. 33s with a locker is an accepted limit for reliability and 4.56 is the most you can regear. Get a locker for the front first, which is arguably more effective if you have to choose.

frogmanjohn said:
I need to lock the rear of my rig and was wondering if the chrysler 8.25 was worth putting a 500 dollar locker into, or should i upgrade to a stronger rear first. The jeep is used for chase truck in the desert and i like to rockclimb and climb on cars in my spare time through the week. And have came to the conclusion that i realllllllly need to at least lock my rear.

your thoughts and opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

john

27 spline or 29 spline?

I wouldnt bother locking a 27 spline, its not much stronger than a dana 35.. I'd lock a 29 spline in a heartbeat though, unless you plan on going 35's+ or living on the throttle.

yea you should lock it especially for a 29 spline. Just as cal mentioned, if you plan on going above 35s, then by that time, you should look into a different rear end.

My 8.25 is locked with 32s so far...

27 spline chrysler 8.25" in the rear.

Is is also street driven, so should i run a posi in the front instead of a full lock?

Would a lockrite in the front totally kill all turning radius?

what is the cheapest selectable locker out there for my front d30?

it is stronger then a d35, one of the weakest part of the d35 is it's axle tubes, they tend to flex, the 8.25 has 3" axle tubes, i have a 27 spline 8.25 with a full detroit, 4.56's and alloy shafts with 35's, this setup has been wheeled pretty hard under more then one rig, so they do hold their own.
cal said:
27 spline or 29 spline?

I wouldnt bother locking a 27 spline, its not much stronger than a dana 35.. I'd lock a 29 spline in a heartbeat though, unless you plan on going 35's+ or living on the throttle.

every axle can break, it all depends on how you wheel.

If your installing a locker and worried about your 27 spline shafts, just spend $150 for two superior 29 spline axle shafts. When you go buy the locker get the one for the 8.25 with 29 spline. Throw the locker in then slam your new 29 spline shafts in it.

so the 29 spline diameter is exactly the same as the 27?

Should i upgrade to the 29 spline from superior, or should i just get some axles out of a nex cherokee with the 29 spline?

are the 29 really that much stronger than a 27?

also, if i do go to 29 spline, and a lock rite, what will be the weakest link?

john

mack said:
it is stronger then a d35, one of the weakest part of the d35 is it's axle tubes, they tend to flex, the 8.25 has 3" axle tubes, i have a 27 spline 8.25 with a full detroit, 4.56's and alloy shafts with 35's, this setup has been wheeled pretty hard under more then one rig, so they do hold their own.

There are always people who get get away with more on less, that doesnt change my suggestions based on past observations and experiance..?

Roads said:
If your installing a locker and worried about your 27 spline shafts, just spend $150 for two superior 29 spline axle shafts. When you go buy the locker get the one for the 8.25 with 29 spline. Throw the locker in then slam your new 29 spline shafts in it.

he's talking about a lunchbox locker, so that will not work. He would have to change his carrier and his wheelbearings, too.

frogmanjohn said:
so the 29 spline diameter is exactly the same as the 27?

no. not at all.

frogmanjohn said:
Should i upgrade to the 29 spline from superior, or should i just get some axles out of a nex cherokee with the 29 spline?

If you go that route, get alloy's .. superior or alloy-usa.. You will pay $40-$50 each for used stock shafts, or $100-$120 each for alloy shafts.. for the cost, there is no real reason not to.

frogmanjohn said:
are the 29 really that much stronger than a 27?
yes. very much so.

frogmanjohn said:
also, if i do go to 29 spline, and a lock rite, what will be the weakest link?

with 29 spline you would have a no-slip, and the weakest link would probably be the front axle. :)

cal said:
he's talking about a lunchbox locker, so that will not work. He would have to change his carrier and his wheelbearings, too.

Why would you have to change the carrier? Different wheel bearings? The guy at 4wheel parts said it would work. The no-slip plus upgrading the 27 spline shafts to 29 is the exactly what I was going to be doing next month. More information please.

lunchbox locker????????

oh yeah mack, thanks for that link, i got to the end and was like, i read that before, but i like the log rescue in it....

john

Back