• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help!! *.25 Detroit Install gone bad!

DaJudge

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I installed a detroit and 4.56s in my 8.25 29 spline rear. Everything was going great until time to put the axles shafts in.

They go in fine, put the C-clip on but the C-clip will not go in the machined seat inside the carrier. I tried a smaller one and it will not go in either. Could the Detroit be machined wrong? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I had to grind down the c clip on my 8.25 to make it fit. I think it is wrong from Detroit.

Did you have a traclok in your 8.25? If so, did you swap with an open carrier?

The other possible issue would be that the locker isnt completely engaged.

Is it just an issue where the c_clip is too big in diameter or thickness?

Too big in diameter. It is a full detroit locker, not a no-slip, so it is the carrier.

Thanks!

Anyone else?

was it an open carrier or tracloc before? I remember reading somewhere the c-clips were a bit different?

I've heard of alot of people having to grind their c-clips down installing a detroit in an 8.25.

Thanks everybody! Off to grind my C-Clips!

Glen

if you haven't grinded yet I had the same problem with my no-slip install on my 8.25 29 spline. I put mine in a vice and closed it just slightly, it still fits over the axleshaft easily and clears the new couplers.

I had the same problem..
DSCN2290.jpg

then grinded them down a bit and they fit, here is a comparison pic not the best but you could see it just needs a little shave.
DSCN2293.jpg

I was just checking out Rugged Jeeps install and was ready to post the link and there you already did. :)

Must be a Detroit only issue?

Thanks everyone! Install is done! Except for the C-Clip issue all went well. So far I love it!!!!!!!!!!! No issues at all driving around town and the 4.56s make it drive so much better than the 3.55s.
Still getting used to it unloading but it isn't as bad as I was lead to believe. Freaked a bunch of people in the gas station last night. :laugh:

Glen

yea the unloading takes a while to get used to. Everytime someone rides with me, they go "What the Fawk was that!". I should just get a bumper sticker that says "Its the lunchbox locker"

Back