• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn Signal Switch Question

brenttrf

NAXJA Forum User
I have read around the last 2 days on turn signal problems, but I can't find one similar to mine.

Here we go...

About 2 months ago, my turn signals started staying on continuously. Sometimes they would blink and other times they would just light up (inside and outside the car). I though maybe I needed a new flasher. So, I bought a new flasher and nothing changed. Gradually, my blinkers stopped blinking and just would stay on when I used them. i had to manually flick the turn signal lever to make them flash. then one day...nothing. the turn signals don't even light up. I checked the fuese and everything has been changed out twice and nothing. Also, I now have no hazard lights. I also put in another flasher just in case and...nothing. My assumption is I need a new trun signal switch. But, should the hazard lights be affected if the turn signal switch is out?

thanks for any info.

Kinda doubt it's the switch as the problem is affecting both the signals and the hazards. More likely a bad ground somewhere. Sorry not to be of more help.

Dave

CantonXJ said:
Kinda doubt it's the switch as the problem is affecting both the signals and the hazards. More likely a bad ground somewhere. Sorry not to be of more help.

Dave

I was reading about the ground issues. What is the best way to check?

I think I have a related problem on my 98. My signals intermittently act as hazard flashers - other drivers have alerted me to this on more than one occasion, but on the dash it only appears that it is a blinker, not the hazards.

I'm curious to see what you find. I'll let you know if I figure anything out.

Me too FILMXJ.
Mine does the same thing with the hazards.
My buddies always joke about it when were coming back down the mountain from the trails.
I will keep my eyes on this post.
dont let it dither.

I just spent some time trying to diagnose mine. Also found a post regarding the same issue:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32839&highlight=emergency+flashers

Anyway. I think it is likely that all of these problems are related to the turn signal/high beam/low beam/hazard switch assembly. After experimenting some in a place where I could tell which outside lights were on, my turn signals seemed to generally work ok if the stalk was in the high beam position, regardless of whether the headlights were on or not. Also, any wiggling of the stalk would tend to make the "phantom" signal disappear until the signal was re-triggered. Additionally, pushing the hazard switch away from the driver (toward the front of the vehicle) kept the errent taillight from flashing, pulling it toward the rear of the vehicle seemed to make the problem more frequent.

I haven't had a chance to actually look inside the thing, but it seems clear that something is contacting where it shouldn't be - physical clearance type of deal - inside the swith assy.

Just my 2c. Seems like a lot of people on the board have lights/signal issues of one kind or another with the post '97s.

does it still do it if you pull the flasher for the hazards????

just a thought... if you pull the flasher, I believe it is the upper right unit (bottom left is the turn signals)... does it still flash hazards with the flasher out of the loop. if it does, something is crossing, probably at the switch.

try pulling your flashers out and see what you get, seems like a worn contact somewhere is allowing l/r blinkers to stay on vs one side only.

i would pull the flasher and then if that is still happening, it's prob not the wiring, probably the turn signal switch....

p.s. also i would clean your harness at the left front light, where the stock air box would/used to be. if its still the stock box, pull it out and clean the heck outta that connection there, just in case.... otherwise you can see it sitting right there, usually picks up quite a bit of corrosion.

good luck.

btw, i've had the same issue with chevy vehicles from the 80's, i believe it's similar/same switch issue. (plastic switches, gee, planned obsolescence, anyone)

wikipedia says.....

Planned obsolescence (also built-in obsolescence (UK)) is the conscious decision on the part of an agency to produce a consumer product that will become obsolete and/or non-functional in a defined time frame. Planned obsolescence has great benefits for a producer in that it means a consumer will buy their product repeatedly, as their old one is no longer functional or desirable. It exists in many different products from vehicles to lightbulbs, from buildings to software. There is, however, the potential backlash of consumers that become aware of such obsolescence; such consumers can shed their loyalty and buy from a company that caters to their desire for a more durable product.

:smsoap: :smsoap: :smsoap:

Back