• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'90 AW4 2wd to 4x4 ??????

rguy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '90 Cherokee 2wd with a AW4 transmission that I want to turn into a 4x4. Is it possible to attach a transfer case to this transmission or will I need to find a 4wd version of the AW4?

FWIW, I have transfer case and 5 spd transmission from an '88 Commanche 4.0L 4x4. Could I use that transfer case with the AW4?

thanks.

Rob

'88 Comanche 4x4

[email protected]

the 2WD trans will have a tailcone and slip yoke, you can't attach the t-case directly to it without changing the tailshaft and housing. 4WD Aw4's are plentiful in the yards, you'd be ahead to find one of those.

87manche said:
the 2WD trans will have a tailcone and slip yoke, you can't attach the t-case directly to it without changing the tailshaft and housing. 4WD Aw4's are plentiful in the yards, you'd be ahead to find one of those.

I also recommend getting a 4wd tranny from the yard. Selling what ya got an buying a 4wd XJ would be the quickest and simplest method though. I'm guessing the 88 MJ is going to be the donor for the front axle, xfer case linkage, etc as well? Front axle should be a bolt on and obviously the rear shaft will be different.

I don't recall what year the AW4 output shaft spline count changed - I think it was when they shifted to the HO engine in 92. You're best bet is to look for a later model AW4 up to 95. Check the output shaft spline count to get one that matches the splines on the 88 xfer case you already have (should be 23 splines). 1996 AW4 and later will not work with your trans computer as there were some sensor changes with the change to the ODBII engine controller. You can use a newer model, but you'll have to deal with transplanting the computer, wiring harnes and doing some wiring mods.

87 -90 AW4 tranny outputs were 21 spline and 92 up were 23 spline. 91 is kinda iffy as it was the switch over year so if you've got a 88 transfer case then you need a 21 spline output tranny.

lawsoncl said:
Oops. You're right. I forgot that the ax15 started in 89. Still a good idea to confirm the spline count before he goes looking for a donor.
ALWAYS look at what you got before you go yard hunting. You never know what AMC was throwing under these things.

If you want to goto a stick shift just take all the parts needed from the doner it's a bult up project. and remove the auto computer it is seperate from the engine pcm.

Back