• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM Alarm- Can I kill it and keep the remote locks?

SCW

NAXJA Forum User
I'd really like to kill my factory alarm in my '92 with the Laredo package, can I do that and not kill the factory remote foor locks? When I got it there was a switch to shut off the alarm, but for some reason it won't work anymore, and I even replaced the switch with a new one, so the problem must be elsewhere. I don't really care, I hate car alarms anyway.

I'm hoping there is a quick and easy way to permanently turn it off, but I'm open for options.

check your owner's manual. i believe it has options in there to silence it and to do some other things, so it might have a disable feature. otherwise, maybe pull the relay or fuse for it? not too sure, but goodluck.

We have a factory alarm on our TJ, button under dash but it has to be used in conjunction with the key, we have long since lost the remote.... I might invest some time this summer to see exactly how it's hooked up and remove it..

I did a little more searching and found that there are two wires (couldn't tell which from the post) in the tailgate that can be tied together and override the alarm.

Here's the post, anyone who knows which wires please feel free to chime in-

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70963

I'll post back after I get some time to play with it for a while and see what gives-

I'm not sure if it's the same but I had a 99 and you had to do hold one of the buttons on the remote for a few seconds and it disabled the alarm and let you use the remote locks. sorry cann't remember which button but might get you started in the right direction.

hate to bump up an old thread, but none of these seem to have gotten back with a definite resolution.

Any updates?

Yes it can be done, you can remove the alarm permanently in a few minutes (and not have to get a new ecu etc).

I proved a couple of the scenarios wrong as well. I read that if you removed the security module that the ECU would go into a permanent lock down mode which the vehicle would not start unless the dealer resets it. This is false, however the ECU does turn off the injectors so your vehicle will only run 1-2 seconds and then die. But once you plug the unit back in and disconnect the battery and then connect it again, everything is back to the way it was. So the module does talk to the ECU, however it is reversible.

It took me a few minutes of trial and error, but I figure out how to get rid of the security system entirely.

You simply:

-Disarm the alarm by either unlocking the driver door, or ground the factory disable wire if your alarm is not functioning correctly

-Unscrew the security module from the backing plate and let it hang down for easy access(The module is located to the right of the steering column w/ 2 screws holding it in place. But at this time do not uplug the main harness, or any adjacent connectors.

-Start the vehicle and let it run for a minute or so.

-Pull the red connector on the module.

-Now turn off the engine, and then disconnect the battery, then turn the ignition switch to start to get rid of any residual.

- Reconnect the battery, and your good to go. Way too easy huh?

Back