• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blown Motor or just Harmonic Balancer

AllXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
This is rather ironic, but a few days ago i pull into the gas station to fill up to go do some muddn, and when i pull in and as soon as i turn the key off, i hear some klunking from under the hood, i prayed it was nothing, filled up (1/2tank, poor ) I go to start it up and it klunks like krazy and wont even fire. Now, a family friend who is a master mechanic, described the turning off issue before i told him bout that and i was like "holy ****", he says its a fairly common problem with jeeps is that the harmonic balancer "dies". I was wondering if anyone has personal experience with this.

So basicly, is it worth spending the money to replace it, or just save up and buy a new motor?

Thanks alot

The harmonic balancer isn't difficult to change, but there is some stuff to navigate around. $60-80 for a new balancer plus time to change it is certainly cheaper than a new engine.

Personally, I don't know why a failing harmonic balancer would cause a no-fire. When it fails, the outer sheave will "walk" in towards the timing chain cover (maybe wearing into it) or out towards the radiator.

Dont some of the 'new' jeeps trigger the CPS off the crank pulley/balancer? If that balancer was wobbly it might snag & kill the CPS?

Dude didn't give us a year to work with... I am a Renix guy so :dunno:

I've got a '93 and when my harmonic balancer died it walked out towards the radiator but the engine would still fire. It was pretty painless to fix, just enough room between the engine and radiator to fit the puller in there!

Dave

Your going to have to get your hands dirty, or pay someone else to do it for you. If your inclined to do it yourself, think about the problem--"won't start" and "klunks like krazy" when turning over. Make a list of possibilities and ways to eliminate them as the cause. Not likely the harmonic balancer will keep it from starting, but could cause "klunking". Have someone turn the engine over while you investigate under the hood. Use a long wooded dowel as a stethesscope and listen to each accessory and various spots on the engine to isolate clunking. Report back on your results for chapter two.

Back