• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spool on ice?

chris_amrein

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 1990 Cherokee with a 4.0 and 5 spd this weekend and need some advice. I will be using it as a "multi-purpose" vehicle - prerunner, rockcrawler, grocery-getter, etc.

My first choice for a rear diff would be a full spool, but my concern is how it will perform on ice and in snow. I know it would be sketchy at best in 2 wheel drive, but will it drive ok in 4wd? In other words, will having the front axle turning help it track better and not want to swap ends?

The rest of my plan consists of approx 5-6" of lift, 33's, dana 44 swap(if anyone has one for sale, let me know) 4.88's, and building a front prerunner bumper.

Thanks in advance.
Chris Amrein

i never had a problem w/ a rear spool in 4wd in the winter. Drive it like its there, dont down shift hard and dont hammer the gas in a corner....

drove this past winter in NE and we got ALOT of snow...

chris_amrein said:
...will having the front axle turning help it track better and not want to swap ends?
It'll help some, but you are still going to have to make significant adjustments to your driving style. It's nothing that any reasonably competent driver couldn't learn to adjust for, but it is an adjustment.

Back