• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dakota leaf springs.

Dann

NAXJA Forum User
OK. I can get the rear leaf packs out of a '87 2wd, or a '90 4wd for the same price, $50.00 a set. Which pack is the most commonly used. Also, are they the same damn thing? This was done on the phone, and I haven't seen them yet. Thanks, Dann

in my experience, I put 2wd pack on the wifes xj. 4-4.5 lift flexs good, used every dakota leaf, just cut the eye off the main leaf and add to xj main leaf. The 4wd ones that I have seen in the junk yard appear to have a factory aal. That appears to be the only difference. I've been wanting to try these but havent had the opportunity. I've been looking for a listing of spring rates for both 2wd and 4wd to see whats what. Get the rear brake hose while your at it. About 6" longer than stock. Relative bolt on.

Thanks Yellowxj. I've already got RE extended shackles with RC 3" lift packs and 1.5" steel blocks. Stock bump stops = bent/sagged springs, plus I want to shit can the blocks if possible. I'm running 32's and have no plans to go bigger until I do more mods. I do believe I'll go with the 2wd leaves. Thanks again. Dann

Im running dakota leaves with a 1.5 shackle
Ive got 32" swampers and I didnt trim a thing

there is like a 10 year span starting at 96, 95,94........
I got 2wd springs
i dont notice the difference from my stock plus rusty aal, but my wife says it rides better and thats all that counts.
go to www.cheapxj.com and you can find a write up on it
As far as wheeling goes, my first run is this weekend so ask me monday

I can't remember if mine were out of a 2 or 4wd. I didn't know that there was a difference as long as it was SOA. The packs I took were the main leag, 2 supporting leaves, and a relatively flat overload leaf.
I had a dead Rancho 3" spring pack and I used the main eye from it, the 2 middle dakota leavs, and the fat overload leaf turned upside down. Im using a .75 inch shackle and have a little over 4.5 inches that rides really nice on the road and now the only thing that is limiting my flex is the length of my shocks.

Just stopped by my local spring shop to ask dakota leaf q's? Said there were 5 different dakota springs and they should all look the same just different load cap. 1600lbs-2550lbs and anywhere in between. Couldnt give me a ft/lbs rate. Said that the free arch coulb be different by more than an inch on some springs. Still havent found a way to tell them apart yet. Working on that.

yellowxj said:
Just stopped by my local spring shop to ask dakota leaf q's? Said there were 5 different dakota springs and they should all look the same just different load cap. 1600lbs-2550lbs and anywhere in between. Couldnt give me a ft/lbs rate. Said that the free arch coulb be different by more than an inch on some springs. Still havent found a way to tell them apart yet. Working on that.

most likely it would be by measuring the thickness of the individual leaves, but it may be an EXTREMELY miniscule difference.

Back