• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 Front Yoke Removal

tgregg

NAXJA Member #1444
I'm trying to remove the front yoke in the process of replacing the chain. My impact is not removing the nut. QUESTION is the nut right hand or left hand thread. I'm assuming it is a normal thread not reverse. Am I correct??

My XJ was driven for a long time without the front driveshaft installed which I think let "stuff" impact the open yoke and the nut. I am soaking it with WD40 hoping it will loosen.

Hold the yoke with a large pipe wrench(3' long) if you have one, and break the nut loose with a 1/2" breaker-bar and maybe some pipe over the handle of that.

Yea! I need a bigger pipe wrench. Mine is too small. Actually I had the pipe wrench up against the frame and pulling on the breaker bar I was moving the whole car on the jack stands. I guess I'll try again in the AM after it soaks a while.

Last edited:
tgregg said:
My XJ was driven for a long time without the front driveshaft installed which I think let "stuff" impact the open yoke and the nut. I am soaking it with WD40 hoping it will loosen.
WD-40 is NOt a penetrant,get some PB blaster!

WobblesXJ said:
put some D into it, girly man.

Hey, I'm OLD. At 62 I still race a YZ 450 in D37 desert races but I for sure am not as strong as I used to be. I think the new impact gun and PB blaster are good ideas!

Back