• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering/alignment shops in Portland, OR

OR2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've done some searches and found some similar scenarios, but nothing specific to what I need to ask: Anyone have any recommendations for alignment shops on the west side of Portland?

I took a "slight nudge" at about 15mph to my passenger front tire on a wet night of driving, and now my steering wheel is not lined up with "straight" anymore.
I heard a small "clunk", but I think it was just my wheel scraping, and not a bolt snapping or thread stripping. It's not a serious 1/4 turn or anything, but it is noticeable and annoying. There is no visible damage to steering components, and no wobbles or balance issues on top of it. My only noticeable symptom is the steering wheel. Is there a DIY method for a complete steering novice? Who gives good service and doesn't rape you on charges?

I'm on 3 inches with 31" tires, stock steering setup.

Thanks for any input.

I always go to Les Schwab, it's about $50.00. They will probably try to sell you on ball joints and other stuff but don't listen to them, they just want more money!

Thanks...I'll make a phone call. Here's another question, tho: How would I go about checking to see if my steering components are all ok...ie, not bent/f-ed up? It tracks fine, corrects to center, and shows no signs of toe problems upon a visible inspection. It just gets me nervous as it is my DD. Maybe I'll turn it into a straight trail rig and buy a moped. HA!

Check the Yellow pages for a Firestone dealership. I always go for the lifetime alignments. Costs more, but if they don't get it right or you have to add another inch, here or there, it's covered.

Jason

Back