• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

warn bumper and coil sag

cabz

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have a warn rockcrawler Winch bumper ( and it's without the winch right now ) on my 88 MJ I just put on a 4.5" rustys lift kit and the ole front end has sagged down to about 3" of lift.

I called rustys and they said I had a heavy bumper ( No kiddin ) I told them I had it when I bought the kit . they sugjested 2" spacers to get it back up where it should be , But wouldnt you think if 150lb 4.5" springs are that compressed that they wont last to long before saggin again?

Can anyone tell me the best way to go here ? should I get 2" spacers or just get stiffer and taller springs?

Has anyone else had any issues with rustys coils?

TIA

I thought I did , I had read that there coils where 180's But acording to rusty thier 3'5"s and 6" are 180's but thier 4.5's are 150's .

That didnt make a load of sense to me .

The thing that Pisses me off is the fact I stated that I had this bumper , they even sell it but no one on their end emtioned the 150/180 spring diffrence.

On a side note I called RE and they have a 5.5 coil and it is 165lb'er

I just don't know if that will hold the beastly bumper up

A another option may be to get a 4.5" lift spring for a Grand Cherokee as they will have a similar spring rate, but are usually about one inch longer than those for a Cherokee.

Okie Terry said:
Put the 2" spacers on...
Better yet, get the ACOS'.

This is what I was originaly thinking of doing ( 2" spacer ) but since the spring is sagged 1.5" in just two months , Do you think they will continue to sag further?

cabz said:
This is what I was originaly thinking of doing ( 2" spacer ) but since the spring is sagged 1.5" in just two months , Do you think they will continue to sag further?
Who knows? But, spacers are the cheapest temporary/permanent fix there is.
You get the spacers, put them on, they either get you where you need to be, or you have to buy new coils, in which case, you're only out $30 for the spacers, which you can use later if you need to and so on......

cabz said:

They're not "sagged". They're sitting at the static ride height the current amount of weight compresses them to.

I ran Rusty's 4.5 springs with a winch bumper/winch for 2 years, then sold them to a friend who is/has been running them for 2 years now with a winch bumper/winch. They're holding up fine all things considered. Throw some spacers in there, and enjoy the nice ride.

I've got the big heavy warn bumper and a winch on it and all I needed was an extra stock coil isolator to compensate for the sag.

IMO the warn front and rears weigh too damn much! same with the ARBs! sell the bumper and get something else, ahahaaa

I also got the crusty's 4.5 lift. I have the warn bumper W/ brush guard and a Mile Marker 10500 hydro winch (75lbs). It saged just like it did to you and its been that way for 2 years. It should be fine to add the 1.75 spacers like i'm about to do. will repost with pics.

Almost hate to mention this, but I believe ALL lift springs are rated for stock bumpers. There is no way for a company to know that you hung a 155 howitzer on the front of your XJ as a push bar.

Get spacers, get the ACOS, or get springs for a larger lift that will settle out were you want them.

And you can expect all springs to sag over their useful life.

Spacers are a cheep eazy way to go but your springs are over loaded. And they will sag more even if you only daily drive it wheeling it will speed it up. That's why I buy R C my 4 1/2 only saged a 1/2 with a exo cage and a years time. I'm shure just my bumper weighs twice as much as yours. I'm new to naxja so I have picks posted or I would show you

Get the spacers and see where it goes, cheapest route and easy to change. We needed 3/4" spacers on a WJ when we put an ARB on a WJ with a stock suspension aside from Addco sway bars.

OP, I have no solution to your coil problem but am pretty sure that you have a breach of contract claim against Rusty's. Sorry to be off topic, I'm a law student and couldn't resist being a legal nerd as i read this. If you told them that you were using these springs on your MJ with that bumper, and they told you that the springs would work with that bumper, you probably have warranty claim per section 2-315 of the universal commercial code http://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/2/2-315.html. Pretty much the law is that if the vendor knew what you were going to do with the item and you rely on their statement as truth, which you can reasonably do given the nature of Rusty's business, there is a warranty that the parts will perform as promised. I'd make them either give you the stiffer 6 inchers or at least give you the spacers for free.

-this post is not legal advice, i have not taken the BAR, i am a lowly jeep/legal nerd.

- ECGTECH

am pretty sure that you have a breach of contract claim against Rusty's. If you told them that you were using these springs on your MJ with that bumper, and they told you that the springs would work with that bumper, you probably have warranty claim per section 2-315 of the universal commercial code http://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/2/2-315.html.
- ECGTECH

Verbal means nothing! If all of the Rusty's bashing on this site did not deter him, well you know.

Too damn many lawyers.

Back