• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

problems after trans swap

Gerr

NAXJA Forum User
ok I have a 93 sport with 5 speed trans 4 inch lift and 4.0 engine. I just finnished doing a trans swap (ax-15 to ax-15)now that the trans is fine Ive got 2 more problems that arose:

1st is that the altenator is consistantly charging at about 16 volts but will hit the red for the first minute or two after starting does this meen my altenator is going bad or just that my battery needed charging?

2nd is that when driving on a ruff road the engine will cut out (all guages go to default off position) and then come back as if nothing happened at all, Im thinking I need to take a look at my ignition switch under the dash and check the connections any other things to look at?

ok checked the wires to the cluster and anything else I could get to and I still have the same problem when i hit bumps the engine cuts out. could the cps be going bad?

dzraces said:
ok checked the wires to the cluster and anything else I could get to and I still have the same problem when i hit bumps the engine cuts out. could the cps be going bad?

That would be a good place to start since it got disturbed during the trans swap.

I dont know much about these things, but I wonder could it be something as simple as your battery connection being loose? I know mine used to start, and shut right off, work fine, shut off, for no apparent (to me) reason, than next time I worked on it I realized the clamps were loose... silly me.

ok think i fixed it, found that there was a but of grease (nice clean grease) between the connectors for the distributer. I wont get to drive it till later but started it up and it purrs real nice now

Back