• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

newbe

1bigxj

NAXJA Forum User
hey im a newbe and dont know what im doing. im 14 and want a xj, what should i do for my first jeep?

Hey newbe... we were all there once.

First off I'd recommend doing a lot of research on these forums... There is a LOT of good info, right at your fingertips.

From your research, try to narrow down what you are after... (2 door vs 4 door, 4x4 or 2x4, 6cyl or 4cyl, stick or auto etc) That way you can keep a better eye out when time comes to buy one.

I personally like the 87-90 "renix" 1st generation 4.0ls... to me they have been very reliable and easy enough to work on. The 91 & newer HO 4.0ls are not 'bad', they are just more of an unknown to me. I wouldn't take a 84-86 XJ or MJ if it was given to me... especially the ones with the 2.8l V6. I've seen folks with way too many headaches from those... but if you are a glutton for punishment, they can be had for cheap.

Depending how big a hurry you are in, I'd consider trying to find one that was a 1-owner, never 4-wheeled, garaged if possible... and maybe one from outside the salty-road states.

Other than my dislike of the 84-86 model, I feel they are all pretty solid vehicles. Fairly easy to maintain and modify. They can be as affordable or as expensive as your budget allows.

Have fun, read lots, and welcome to NAXJA

i am his older brother and i have an 84 xj and i like it but i told him that whatever he gets to make sure that it has the 4.0 i cant stand my 2.5 lol and since he cant drive yet anyway i belive he wants a 4 door with a auto trany

try and find a 91 or newer with the Hi-output 4.0

yeap, 4.0 HO the HO model engines last MUCH longer. also, the xj ax-15 transmission (manual) is not bad for learning, its a lower gear than cars and a stiffer clutch, so its easier to learn on. so either way, manual or auto he should be good. i like the manual, better for mud n trailriden IMHO. but the auto would be better for hillclimbin and rocks just for the fact that the clutch doesnt need to be pressed every three seconds. if its everyday drivin on road only, its really his preference, personaly i like havin somethin to do while driving...

#1....Get a job and start saving.

Jeeps get expensive, even if you find a deal on the purchase price, make sure you have some income to keep the mods coming.

Good luck

JohnX said:
#1....Get a job and start saving.

Jeeps get expensive, even if you find a deal on the purchase price, make sure you have some income to keep the mods coming.

Good luck

I agree X1,000,000. If you start big with a lift, etc. you run out of money and then it just sits. Get some good recovery points and body armor and go wheelin while you save for the big stuff.

Back