• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission and filter change woes

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
Well I've just successfully removed the pan from my AW4. I had to unbolt the dipstick tube where it mounts to the bell housing and wiggle the whole tube&pan until it came out. I don't think I'm the only one who finds this a major PITA. I was just wondering if there is any solution for this (even with the pan on the bench I can't detach the top of the tube. I was thinking of trying to do somthing with a small lengh (3-4") of hose. Cut a small section out of the dipstick tube. Reinstall the upper part, the put the hose on with two hoseclamps. Even though the hose would be a few inches long, the cut in the tube would be quite small (1/2 an inch to an inch). This way you would only have to disconnect the hose clamps nextime instead of going through all the BS with the tube. I must also say that that filter holds quite a bit of ATF. I poked the element a few times, to see if it was empty, no atf came down so I began to remove the bolts. After taking off the first 2 bolts I took off the center one, and got a mouthfull of ATF, ATF ALL OVER THE PLACE. By the way, I noticed a bit of grit on my magnets and my ATF stinks. Its still a darker shade of red when it comes out (it looks black in the catch pan but I'm assuming that is becaus the catch pan is black). I am thinking the ATF may be burnt but can it also smell bad if it absorbs a bit of moisture (my jeep sat for a few years before I finished it)

Edit: OOPS I for forgot to say tranmission FLUID in the title

Yeah - pull the plug, allow to drain (prefereably over a magnet to check for metal bits) and reinstall the plug. Refill through the dipstick tube.

As you've no doubt discovered, the "filter" is really a coarse metal screen, and if you get something stuck in there, you have larger problems. I probably drop the pan on a rig every 2 to 3 years just to check and clean the magnet in the pan. There's not much reason to pull the thing each time.

A little wrestling will usually free up the upper dipstick tube from the pan - just be ready for a fight. When you put it back together, grease it well, and that should help for the next time (never-seez or Teflon pipe dope might also help, in a pinch. I use "red moly" chassis grease if and when, since I always have it around.)

Just clean the pan every few times you pull it and you'll be fine. There's no real reason to pull the pan every time - and if there wasn't a drain plug, I'd install one!

5-90

I just went through the same thing yesterday... I thought I had all the ATF in the oil pan and so I put it away. Then I started pulling the filter bolts and down came quite a bit more ATF. I am just glad I had a large sheet of card board down to catch it all. I was able to get the upper section of tube free after taking the pan out and from under the Jeep. It took a little twisting and pulling with some ATF to help out.
Who ever pulled the pan last time used some kind of orange sealant to seal it up. I spent more time scraping that junk off than on the rest of the project.

Last edited:
Always a messy job, it doesnt matter how hard I try to contain the fluid, I get it everywhere. I smear a dab of antisieze on the dipstick tube joint. It has helped the tube come apart with no problems so far.
You know to use Mercon Dexron in that tranny right?

Back